C#.NET application with SQLite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Hello people,

Me and a friend of mine are currently developing another application in C#. More on that later. But this application should be able to have storage in form of either a file or a embedded database.

I have looked and searched for SQLite and also found Firebird. Those two are fast databases, which is small of size. Now I read that SQLite uses a DLL, which can be referenced. This is fine, but how about embedded INTO the deployment (.exe)?

The application we're developing should be a standalone as in only SINGLE executable file, that you can put on your USB device (or other devices as well). Therefore we need a solution to read and write data within the application, so the application itself store that data no matter where you move it from and to.

The application we are developing is a snipping application, where you can store snippet of texts, codes or anything else (basically just text). Each of these snippets has
  • A name
  • A category
  • Content (the text or code)
The question really relies that we thought of using XML or other filetypes to store the data, but later found out that since they're a resource in the application (embedded) we can only read the files, not write to it. Therefore SQLite should help us with this, since this also would be easier for further development and also port it to other operating systems such like Linux and Mac OS.
I know that Zak is currently working with SQLite in his application, but wether it is embedded into the application without an external file.
Thanks in advance.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011

Also, you'll need to write on mono if you want cross platform compatibility

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
We have found another solution. We are using BinaryWriter and allow the user to export and import custom files with file association. Thanks for the reply though :) And yes, I know that we have to use Mono, though the idea was that the OS' should handle the application equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread