Adding/fixing a hard drive [TUT]

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
This happens to a lot of people (Me included), when adding a new hard drive it doesn't show up in windows, here's how to fix that!
Please read warnings at the bottom BEFORE doing the steps!
Step 1 - Open up command prompt as administrator:
  • type "CMD" into the search bar (Or go run -> cmd.exe)
  • right click
  • click "Run as administrator"
Step 2 - start Diskpart:
  • Type "diskpart" into CMD - may take a minute to load
Step 3 - Fix the drive:
  • Type "list disk"
  • You should see something like this:
If you don't, stop now and reply to the thread for help
Now, disk 0 is the one with your OS on it, so be careful
  • type "select disk 1" (if you had 2 hard drives before the new hard drive, type disk 2 instead)
  • type "clean" - if there's any data on the hard drive, it will be removed by this!
  • type "create partition primary"
  • type "exit" twice
Now this should be your end result (ignore the first "list disk" command)
Press Windows key and E, or go to computer via start menu and you should see your drive with no that's what we want, double click it, it will ask you to format the disk, do so now. Press Format, then press start and it should do it quickly.

WARNING #1: if you have any USBs REMOVE THEM! they show up as disks! If you don't want to do this to your USB then make sure to remove them before doing the commands!

WARNING #2: Know which drive is which! I did this to a USB, drive 0 IS ALWAYS THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ON IT! IF YOU SELECT DISK 0, YOU WILL LITERALLY BRAINFUCK YOUR HARD DRIVE

WARNING #3: Type the commands in carefully, and slowly and make sure you did them correctly before pressing enter! You don't want any mishaps do you?

If you have any questions/need help ask them in the thread or PM me.

Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread