ZucaCMS ~ RevCMS Edit ~ Feedback

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017
I’d rather build it using standalone Symfony components. It will take more time but it will be fast. Worth it in my opinion. Laraval is not so sweet, Laravel bends over to make it as easy as possible but it’s also the slowest. Fact is easy = slow and hard = fast in programming.
I mean laravel octane is a thing if speed is a concern, I wouldn't exactly call it slow.

Also i'd love to see a benchmark to back it up from a regular laravel installation with the features u mentioned vs one in symfony. Because if I gotta be honest i dont think there will be a concerning difference.

With that being said i don't fully disagree with you, and in the end it comes down to what fits "you" and "your project" best, but doing it all from "scratch" is not always better imo.
Post automatically merged:

alr decided on laravel; why u guys arguing on my post ;(
Aint no1 arguing 😇

Parsov

May 18, 2016
I don’t know why you’ve renamed this considering all you’ve done is effectively build a RevCMS skin. Which is fine, but, it’s not the same thing as making your own CMS; so it’s fundamentally wrong to rename it.

The style is aesthetically disastrous and looks like every hotel ever. It’s very bland and contrasty so it feels like being stabbed in the eyes to look at. I’d like to see more colour and creative use of images rather than just a black and white box with a blue header.
I agree but it's a private server community so people do whatever they want. Everything here is basically a rename.
So that's not something people complain about anymore. Because there is no point. People will do what they want to do whether it's right or wrong.
React is a frontend library, you're getting things mixed up. You need to figure out what you actually want to achieve with this - if you're in it for the sake of just doing the frontend, learning React (which is my my preferred with TypeScript) or another JS frontend library would be a very good start, as it's a good skill to master these, and the retro community lacks projects adheering to up-to-date technology (across the whole stack actually) instead of using raw and bloated html/css on a php framework from 2010 or what do I know.

Don't take up constructing a whole CMS from scratch if you're only doing it for the sake of other people, but if you're serious about it you can either use an existing CMS such as Heroic (JS/TypeScript as far as I remember) or ARES (PHP) - don't take me up on either of those, they are just the one's that came to mind, haven't used them myself.

If you want to make your own backend from scratch (and it sounds like you would prefer Node), you would have to look at something like Express or NestJS. You don't do backend with React, that's meant for making the user client.

Of course I don't know at what skill level you are, so take this with a grain of salt and do your own thing.

Good luck :)
NestJS is pretty good but it's somewhat new. Just like Typescript is. Nest is not as widespread and he might have difficulties and when he does he won't be able to get around it easily since these technologies are frankly new and just becoming a thing. So finding solutions will be harder. You also mentioned that you don't know what level his skills are on. For him to actually learn NestJS he'll need to read documentation of Typescript, then NodeJS then Nest itself and things like TypeORM. And above that he needs to know how Javascript works since Typescript is basically Javascript. Most importantly he needs to learn about the fundamentals of programming itself and concepts of architectures. If he wants to be a good Nest developer he'll need to learn these.

What I recommend is leave NestJS for later because no one is gonna pay you enough to use it and not many companies use it anyway. Let alone that it's frankly new and so is Typescript so because of that it might be harder for you to get your head around it.

Learn Javascript first. After you're fluent with it or advanced then move onto reading about Typescript. It will be way easier. And then from there you can directly just go to NestJS. That way you'll understand the principles you'll know the purpose of everything and you'll know how they function. Although a great language Typescript is a bit bizarre especially for people who are moving from other programming languages. But most of those weird things come from Javascript. Since it's a scripting language it allows more flexibility and that's why if you move from a strict language to javascript it might seem confusing.

I pointed out everything you needed to know so if you do want to learn it consider all of this.

I mean laravel octane is a thing if speed is a concern, I wouldn't exactly call it slow.

Also i'd love to see a benchmark to back it up from a regular laravel installation with the features u mentioned vs one in symfony. Because if I gotta be honest i dont think there will be a concerning difference.

With that being said i don't fully disagree with you, and in the end it comes down to what fits "you" and "your project" best, but doing it all from "scratch" is not always better imo.

Aint no1 arguing 😇
Laravel has everything built-in and it's easy to use. Symfony on the other hand is somewhat supposed to be on a professional level more hardcore and industry-level. "Apparently". If we're gonna speak about performance and industry-level technologies big companies are not pussies to use Smyfony they are capable of using something 10 times better. The only people that will use PHP anyway is startups and not so great companies. And for these type of people / companies Laravel does the job too. So I don't see a reason for this guy to complain about speed and performance or efficiency. Laravel is efficient and powerful enough for a Habbo CMS. He is not building some massive infrastructure that needs speed and power and yet then Smyfony is kind of useless for that too. Because he might aswell just use something more advanced than PHP.

Last edited:

omatamix

Feb 20, 2019
I agree but it's a private server community so people do whatever they want. Everything here is basically a rename.
So that's not something people complain about anymore. Because there is no point. People will do what they want to do whether it's right or wrong.

NestJS is pretty good but it's somewhat new. Just like Typescript is. Nest is not as widespread and he might have difficulties and when he does he won't be able to get around it easily since these technologies are frankly new and just becoming a thing. So finding solutions will be harder. You also mentioned that you don't know what level his skills are on. For him to actually learn NestJS he'll need to read documentation of Typescript, then NodeJS then Nest itself and things like TypeORM. And above that he needs to know how Javascript works since Typescript is basically Javascript. Most importantly he needs to learn about the fundamentals of programming itself and concepts of architectures. If he wants to be a good Nest developer he'll need to learn these.

What I recommend is leave NestJS for later because no one is gonna pay you enough to use it and not many companies use it anyway. Let alone that it's frankly new and so is Typescript so because of that it might be harder for you to get your head around it.

Learn Javascript first. After you're fluent with it or advanced then move onto reading about Typescript. It will be way easier. And then from there you can directly just go to NestJS. That way you'll understand the principles you'll know the purpose of everything and you'll know how they function. Although a great language Typescript is a bit bizarre especially for people who are moving from other programming languages. But most of those weird things come from Javascript. Since it's a scripting language it allows more flexibility and that's why if you move from a strict language to javascript it might seem confusing.

I pointed out everything you needed to know so if you do want to learn it consider all of this.

PHP anyway is startups and not so great companies.
You must be in the dark.
Here’s 5, I’ll be happy to list more.

1. Spotify (uses Symfony Framework)
The music streaming service relies on Symfony to maintain more than 75 million active users. There are almost 600 thousand requests per second, according to the website, and a huge traffic that comes from mobile devices.

2. BlablaCar (uses Symfony Framework)
Over 10 million people use BlablaCar services to find a shared ride at a reasonable price. Blabla car’s development team use the framework to maintain both front and back of the website and the app.

3. Trivago (uses Symfony Framework)
More than 120 million visitors use Trivago to search and compare hotel prices.

4. BBC (uses Laravel Framework)
Data from ATI also confirms that BBC.com had it's highest ever monthly traffic in March 2020: 1.5 billion monthly page views. 61 million monthly video views. 179 million monthly unique browsers.

5. Slack (uses PHP)
According to similarweb.com there have been 128.93 million visits as of April 2021.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
You must be in the dark.
Here’s 5, I’ll be happy to list more.

1. Spotify (uses Symfony Framework)
The music streaming service relies on Symfony to maintain more than 75 million active users. There are almost 600 thousand requests per second, according to the website, and a huge traffic that comes from mobile devices.

2. BlablaCar (uses Symfony Framework)
Over 10 million people use BlablaCar services to find a shared ride at a reasonable price. Blabla car’s development team use the framework to maintain both front and back of the website and the app.

3. Trivago (uses Symfony Framework)
More than 120 million visitors use Trivago to search and compare hotel prices.

4. BBC (uses Laravel Framework)
Data from ATI also confirms that BBC.com had it's highest ever monthly traffic in March 2020: 1.5 billion monthly page views. 61 million monthly video views. 179 million monthly unique browsers.

5. Slack (uses PHP)
According to similarweb.com there have been 128.93 million visits as of April 2021.
BBC uses NodeJS, Python and Java. They might be using Laravel within a few services. Companies like these can't just rely on Laravel for television & radio broadcasting.

Pretty sure Spotify uses Django. Again there is a combination of languages within this service too.

I'm not sure about Slack but I heard they too use Java and other combinations.

Big companies most of the time will not rely on just PHP. Always in every big project they have some sort of combination of languages. They might use PHP within this combination but that does not mean that the service is completely using it.
Anyway let's not get off topic.

Maatt

Aug 29, 2012

Laravel has everything built-in and it's easy to use. Symfony on the other hand is somewhat supposed to be on a professional level more hardcore and industry-level. "Apparently". If we're gonna speak about performance and industry-level technologies big companies are not pussies to use Smyfony they are capable of using something 10 times better. The only people that will use PHP anyway is startups and not so great companies. And for these type of people / companies Laravel does the job too. So I don't see a reason for this guy to complain about speed and performance or efficiency. Laravel is efficient and powerful enough for a Habbo CMS. He is not building some massive infrastructure that needs speed and power and yet then Smyfony is kind of useless for that too. Because he might aswell just use something more advanced than PHP.

Just because everyone does something it doesn’t make it right or okay.
If I murdered someone but said it’s okay because everyone dies eventually that does not make it okay. Renaming this CMS is exactly the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread