Your Views on Education - Is it F*cked?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
What're you views on education? I'm really disliking how fixed education is, there's no room for freedom and it all seems to be about exams.

I was "discussing" with my business teacher the other day about how it all works. Eventually she admitted that 50% of the exam marks are from exam technique (nothing to do with business knowledge at all) so essentially you're being tested on how well you can stick to how they want you to answer?

Anyway, personal rant over. This report kind of says it all... A teachers view on how exams stop students thinking (I can relate).

What do you think?

GetaBath

Feb 5, 2015
i think examinations are an abomination because regardless if you study the whole module, only a percentage of that module will be on the exams, so you're wasting time by studying everything when you only require, let's say 50% for argument sake, that other time could be spent on GAMES

STEAM GAMES, ORIGIN GAMES, UPLAY GAMES, CONSOLE GAMES, EMULATORS AND SO MUCH MORE
EXCEPTIONS ARE SATURDAYS, THEY ARE REQUIRED TO BE SPENT BANGING EVERYTHING THAT WALKS ON TWO LEGS

Owen

Mar 20, 2013
tbh I dislike how in my school that exams are placed in the morning, which is a time where everyone is sleepy and their brains ain't fully awake. My science teacher even said that brains don't work correctly until like 11:00 something around that time which I find annoying because I always have exams in the morning at 9am or 10am.

GetaBath

Feb 5, 2015
tbh I dislike how in my school that exams are placed in the morning, which is a time where everyone is sleepy and their brains ain't fully awake. My science teacher even said that brains don't work correctly until like 11:00 something around that time which I find annoying because I always have exams in the morning at 9am or 10am.

Wake up at 6am, then you have 3 hours to get your brain actively thinking, works all the time

GetaBath

Feb 5, 2015
I don't think you understood what I wanted to debate about, lol.
I know, just that I finished semester 1 and I wanted to rant about exams are frustrating. I am sure someone will releate back to your study on student thought process.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
The education system is literally about passing your tests/quizes, mid-terms, and finals. My Physics class is 100% summative, meaning the only grades that count are test grades. All homework, classwork, etc counts as literally zero points. They enter it into the gradebook as 0/0 points.

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
My prime example. I pass all homework and class work, but get a 70% on one test, and my grade plummets.
Rr4IXRh.jpg

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Obviously a test is weighed more heavily on your overall grade. They test a broader amount of information while a homework assignment does a specific problem

paulblart

D I C K S Q U A D
May 12, 2015
Eh. It depends which way you look at it.

How I see it, exams just get us out of shitty classes for the day (depending on the exam). :up:

Wickd

The first member of the Knights of the Pink Table
Jan 15, 2013
It's pretty much fucked up students care more about passing not learning and you can only blame teachers for that.

Baller

Nov 1, 2013
Schooling, especially in high school and below needs to be more hands on rather than memorization. I think most students can agree that all we do is memorize shit and put on our tests and forget soon after. If they learn by seeing it used in real-life they would be more interested. Also, students should be taught about more useful things needed in life like financial education so they know how to make life decisions. Just my thought tho

Users who are viewing this thread