Xbox One: Microsoft unveils a next-gen console with a focus on TV

Adrian

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
k-bigpic.jpg
It's been eight years and nine days since Microsoft showed the world the Xbox 360 on May 12th, 2005. Today, we see what's next. The Xbox One.
We're on-site in at Microsoft's Xbox HQ in Redmond, Washington, to check out the new Xbox. .
RELATED

Microsoft's brand new Xbox will be revealed at 1PM EDT/10AM PDT, bringing with it news of games, content, and all things Kinect. We'll be…
New consoles are exciting in a way that it's hard for other product releases to match, even anticipated ones like an iPhone, because they're so infrequent. This is at least a five-year bet on Microsoft's part about what the future of gaming will look like. We've already seen what and think. Now it's Microsoft's turn.
RELATED

It's been seven years since the giant, boxy, expensive, hugely-fun and hyped PS3 first arrived. Seven years is a long time. But the next…

Nintendo isn't afraid of different. It has thrown more crazy stuff at the wall—and gotten more of it to stick—than anyone. The Wii U is…

Microsoft can only hope it's half as right as it was last time around. The 360 was built to last. That eight-year stretch of dominance makes it the oldest of the current generation of systems, and the last to be cast off in favor of a new system. Over that time the Xbox has picked up new features, like the Kinect motion sensor and ever more media streaming capabilities, but its core has remained the same.
ku-xlarge.jpg
S

EXPAND
Today's event is only supposed to run for an hour—far shorter than the almost three hours the Sony crew was on stage for the PS4 event—which means it should have a bunch of information packed into a very short time. We'll have impressions from further sessions.
All-in-One Entertainment
We're underway, and the intro video for the new Xbox has users saying that the new Xbox is going to "recognize my name, my voice, my movies" and know what you like. That's a big cue that this generation is going to focus heavily on entertainment. Don Mattrick, President of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, says that Xbox 360 is leading the industry in entertainment, because gamers are quick to adopt new tech.
The focus for the next gen is going to focus on different types of content, and use new tech, like cloud interfacing and streaming. It's the all-in-one home entertainment system.
ku-xlarge.jpg
S

EXPAND
New Controls
The console turns on just from you saying "Xbox on". It will launch into what you were doing last. This passive listening is a huge deal for natural interface. It seems incredibly responsive in the demo, but for now it's unclear if this is an actual demo or if it's being simulated.
It also integrates right into your TV. "Xbox, watch TV" drops you right into a live television feed. The amazing part of this is that you can switch quickly from movies, TV, games, a browser or anything else, just by saying "Xbox, go to", or even just "Go to movies".
ku-xlarge.jpg
S

EXPAND
Two at Once
You can also use Windows 8's snap mode (with one app "snapped" to the side of the screen" to run another app on the side of the screen while your movie, or TV or game is playing. This is kind of an amazing addition, not just for browsing movies while watching one, like an onscreen IMDB, which is what the demo is showing, but you can also, say, snap a walkthrough for a game you're playing.
Oh, and Skype! You can use Skype while watching a movie or playing a game, too.
Thoughts on this?

Livar

Now 35% cooler!
Oct 15, 2010
Look's fucking amazing! One down thing is the controller, I just love the way it is now.

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
They are going to make the UI based on Metro facepalm.jpg
Yuck.

Also, I don't think this is worth another console, everything they're doing (except integrating the kinect) can be done on the 360. Suppose it's all about generating more sales, loads of people already own the 360, no money to be made anymore.

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
I've heard rumors(not 100% correct), but I hear some games may be Dual-Networked (PS3 and xBox can play together).

ImmortaL

Apr 15, 2013
Sounds amazing. Not really a fan of the design but the features sound pretty good so far.
Not gonna be getting it soon after release though.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
They are going to make the UI based on Metro facepalm.jpg
No. It's similar, but is not based on Metro. If anything, Metro was based off the 360 dashboard updated from 2011.

The fact that it has instant switching is a huge plus.

Also, I don't think this is worth another console, everything they're doing (except integrating the kinect) can be done on the 360. Suppose it's all about generating more sales, loads of people already own the 360, no money to be made anymore.
The 360 cannot tap into live TV. It does not have HDMI out.

The 360 has has 3 Xenon cores. The one has a custom built 8 core AMD chip. The 360 has 512 MB of RAM compared to 8GB of DDR3 on the One. The 360 does not have 4K support.

Damon

Aug 13, 2012
I dont know why people say it looks ugly.. tbh?

Looks quite sexy and sleek to me, + its not what it looks like its what you can do on it.

I believe MS has gone a bit over on the entertainment side of it... But its called the 'X-BOX' dosnt have to be all gaming? Unlike Play-Station.. where id expect more gaming cos of the word 'Gaming'. And its quite dumb we cant play our old games on it?..

Forza 5 looks amazing so does COD;Ghosts
The dashboard... not much changed...

But I believe this console is better then the 360 already ;)

Bleep

PHP - HTML - CSS - JAVA ✔
Oct 19, 2012
I think we should give Microsoft a chance. Most of their products are outstanding. This console doesn't sound too good at first sight but I'm sure when we
get face to face with the console we'll think twice.

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
I've heard rumors(not 100% correct), but I hear some games may be Dual-Networked (PS3 and xBox can play together).

Wow, whoever told you that is retarded. Why would Sony and Microsoft put together next gen consoles that have the ability to play one another games. They are rival companies for Christ sakes, both companies want to be the best in the market, not let another company have the ability to play your games. That would be a giant profit loss to both companies.

Dann

ohi
Jan 26, 2013
One thing I'm majorly looking forward to is the voice control. Looks and sounds absolutely brilliant, anyways.
I'd like to see what Sony could pull out to attempt to be better than this.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Wow, whoever told you that is retarded. Why would Sony and Microsoft put together next gen consoles that have the ability to play one another games. They are rival companies for Christ sakes, both companies want to be the best in the market, not let another company have the ability to play your games. That would be a giant profit loss to both companies.
Reading comprehension fail? He said 'dual-networked', meaning he thinks some games would be able to play online from both consoles.

However, that rumor is most likely false since Xbox Live and PSN host their own servers with their own protocol.

Users who are viewing this thread