Wireless Adapters - PCI or USB?

Shorty

<insert title>
Jul 14, 2011
Hello all,

So, unfortunately due to my current accommodation my household is now wireless only, so I wondered if anybody was in the same situation and could shed some light on what's the best wireless adapters to use? USB or PCI

I currently use a USB 3.0 NETGEAR A6210 which is 802.11ac, my signal at best isn't that great.. (Router upstairs), I can achieve my maximum download speed most of the time but sometimes it cuts my wireless out randomly, so I'm wondering if PCI internal wireless adapters are any better?

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
I can't comment directly on wireless adapters, but have you considered wireless range extenders?

Best of luck,

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
I prefer PCI, they look a lot cleaner and have better performance (you'd probably find a bunch of sites going into details about this if you Google it)

TP-Link is a pretty good brand

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
PCI for sure. We use extenders/boosters as the router is downstairs and we're a 4 story building, our ISP said they could install multiple routers around the house which would cost a lot more so we boost it through our power lines. Could you not have an ethernet port fitted near the PC at all or anything like that?

Would also recommend 2.4ghz on the router rather than the 5ghz setting if you're quite far away.

Shorty

<insert title>
Jul 14, 2011
PCI for sure. We use extenders/boosters as the router is downstairs and we're a 4 story building, our ISP said they could install multiple routers around the house which would cost a lot more so we boost it through our power lines. Could you not have an ethernet port fitted near the PC at all or anything like that?

Would also recommend 2.4ghz on the router rather than the 5ghz setting if you're quite far away.
Yeah, understandable that 2.4Ghz is better for range but I can't seem to get half the speed as 5.0Ghz.

Anyway, thanks all might have to splash the cash after Christmas.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Hello all,

So, unfortunately due to my current accommodation my household is now wireless only, so I wondered if anybody was in the same situation and could shed some light on what's the best wireless adapters to use? USB or PCI

I currently use a USB 3.0 NETGEAR A6210 which is 802.11ac, my signal at best isn't that great.. (Router upstairs), I can achieve my maximum download speed most of the time but sometimes it cuts my wireless out randomly, so I'm wondering if PCI internal wireless adapters are any better?
I would use a USB adapter UNLESS you get a really nice, high quality PCI adapter AND A SEPARATE ANTENNA. I've never seen one come with a half decent Antenna, I would find one that meets your basic requirements, and buy an Antenna that has 6ft of cord and command strip that fucker to my wall near the ceiling to get the best range possible.

Speaking from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread