Windows Freezing at Startup

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Hai,

So, on my main laptop, it freezes on the Windows screen with the little animation on startup.
When I try to do a startup recovery the screen just goes black and stays black.

It happened since the last time I turned my PC off (yesterday), and until I fix this my laptop is useless.

Any help would be nice :3

@Macemore

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
Have you downloaded anything recently? If so, try to go into "secure mode" and delete it. If that still doesn't work I recommend you re-install windows completely. (re-installation partition or the CD)

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Have you downloaded anything recently? If so, try to go into "secure mode" and delete it. If that still doesn't work I recommend you re-install windows completely. (re-installation partition or the CD)
I am not really sure what I have downloaded recently.. but I probably have downloaded something :( How do I get into "Secure Mode"?

Oh, and I can't format my disk for these reasons:
Haven't got a Windows disk (Laptop came with Windows already installed).
Got passwords for things such as Minecraft that are just random things like Hfyr858795765967HTHTN which I need.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
I am not really sure what I have downloaded recently.. but I probably have downloaded something :( How do I get into "Secure Mode"?

Oh, and I can't format my disk for these reasons:
Haven't got a Windows disk (Laptop came with Windows already installed).
Got passwords for things such as Minecraft that are just random things like Hfyr858795765967HTHTN which I need.
Well, either way you've got a problem as it's likely a corrupt file within windows itself causing these problems.

Clicking F1 or ESC during startup (before windows has properly started (The screen usually shows the brands logo then)) should send you forth to a choice where you can choose whether to go in Secure mode (without internet) or Secure mode with internet.

Most computers have windows pre-installed, but as of 2010, there should be a re-installation partition built into the computer itself, which is unaccessible for entry unless you choose to re-install. However, installing another OS will remove it.

----Edit----

Come to think of it, your problem may also be caused by hardware malfunction.
You could try to send it to service and ask them to try and save your files (often not likely).

Last edited:

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Well, either way you've got a problem as it's likely a corrupt file within windows itself causing these problems.

Clicking F1 or ESC during startup (before windows has properly started (The screen usually shows the brands logo then)) should send you forth to a choice where you can choose whether to go in Secure mode (without internet) or Secure mode with internet.

Most computers have windows pre-installed, but as of 2010, there should be a re-installation partition built into the computer itself, which is unaccessible for entry unless you choose to re-install. However, installing another OS will remove it.
If I start in "Secure Mode" will I be able to back up all my files on disk before re-installing Windows or even installing Linux?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
I had this issue (twice) with my laptop. The first time I was unaware of what to do and I sent my laptop off (under warranty) and got a new HDD put in.

However, since it has happened again and I'm no longer in warranty, I tried fixing myself. I found that the issue is that the HDD fires up but not all the way, then it'll just freeze. Not sure if this is your problem exactly?

inb4 someone says "delete system32"

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
I had this issue (twice) with my laptop. The first time I was unaware of what to do and I sent my laptop off (under warranty) and got a new HDD put in.

However, since it has happened again and I'm no longer in warranty, I tried fixing myself. I found that the issue is that the HDD fires up but not all the way, then it'll just freeze. Not sure if this is your problem exactly?

inb4 someone says "delete system32"
Yes it is my problem, and how did you fix it the second time?

Plus, how could I delete system32 without being able to log in? lool.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
The system 32 was a joke xD

Anyway, seems wierd but when it happens to me now I hold the battery in firmly and for some reason it works ;3
I think I know why it happened.. All night last night my brother was playing PS3 in my room. The PS3 was sitting in front of my laptop, which was on whilst I sleep. The PS3 generates heat as hot as a heater from the back, which probably sent the laptop into high degrees over the course of the night and damaged the HDD :( (The HDD in my laptop is located near the front, so it is highly possible.)

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
I think I know why it happened.. All night last night my brother was playing PS3 in my room. The PS3 was sitting in front of my laptop, which was on whilst I sleep. The PS3 generates heat as hot as a heater from the back, which probably sent the laptop into high degrees over the course of the night and damaged the HDD :( (The HDD in my laptop is located near the front, so it is highly possible.)
Yeah sounds about right, look into changing your HDD?

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Probably not, HDDs work better under a higher degree of temperature. Plus, the heat would have to be extremely intense to heat the HDD up through all the shit between it and the HDD itself. What sounds more accurate is what used to happen on my old laptop: I'd play a game, it'd get hot, and it would instantly turn off. That might of happened, and then as @Dzetki said, corrupted a windows system file.

For the windows not starting on a recovery disc, try switching displays and using an HDMI/VGA out on your laptop. If that doesn't work, download a linux LiveCD (I use ElementaryOS for this) and copy all the things you need onto another usb/external hdd, or if you have WiFi available on your LiveCD, upload them if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread