Whats the best FREE Forum software ?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I've always liked MyBB as a free option. To me, they seem to be the best option out there. Perhaps I'm a bit biased as DevBest started out using MyBB. But I really enjoyed it.

A few notable mentions as to why I liked it:
  • Clean and easy to use admin panel.
  • Software was reliable and not outdated.
  • Active community for all sorts plugins and themes.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
SMF is ugly and bad, anything but that. MyBB & PHPBB are probably some of the best free ones.
How is SMF bad? Changing the theme is fairly easy. It has one of the best admin control panels (Xenforo's is pretty bad IMO). It's package manager is great as well. It also has an active community with extensive documentation on the software.

sumo

The end is nigh.
Jan 18, 2014
I'd have to say or forums because they are both rare but stylish. With enjin, you can add username effects, and you can add custom staff rank tags, as in images. Lefora is very simple, and stylish.

nullError

Feb 15, 2013
I'd have to say or forums because they are both rare but stylish. With enjin, you can add username effects, and you can add custom staff rank tags, as in images. Lefora is very simple, and stylish.

Used Enjin, really dislike it to be honest. I would only use Enjin with Minecraft etc.

sumo

The end is nigh.
Jan 18, 2014
Used Enjin, really dislike it to be honest. I would only use Enjin with Minecraft etc.
Yeah, I know how you feel. But if you take time to edit it, and remove all of the default stuff it looks really good. It took me some time to start liking it also.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
How is SMF bad? Changing the theme is fairly easy. It has one of the best admin control panels (Xenforo's is pretty bad IMO). It's package manager is great as well. It also has an active community with extensive documentation on the software.
It just is in my opinion, not only the theme but everything, even the name of it makes me want to puke. It'd be the last thing I would use.

There's quite a few of free forum software communities that are active. Don't think there's anything wrong with Xenforo's panel, what do you mean by it's pretty bad?

Users who are viewing this thread