What to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Ok, I want to learn coding... Now I know that is a very broad term. As there are some many different languages..
I am not quite sure where to start and what to learn. I want to learn one language and get good at it before moving onto the next.
I know that the first ones I need to learn are:
HTML
CSS
Correct me if I am wrong with these two. How ever I would like to know on how to learn them, where and any other suggestions and feedback. I am new to all this so go easy ;)

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
is where I learned, but I also skimmed around and edited other's HTML pages, once you get a basic understanding try going around the released themes/layouts and messing around with them a 'bit.
I tried learning CSS but didn't have the patients, after you get HTML and you're not really into the designing thing (like me) and would rather do some of the backend crap like a CMS, Login forms or anything like that learn PHP.

It's nice to see some one trying to take on coding. You came to the right place for help.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
is where I learned, but I also skimmed around and edited other's HTML pages, once you get a basic understanding try going around the released themes/layouts and messing around with them a 'bit.
I tried learning CSS but didn't have the patients, after you get HTML and you're not really into the designing thing (like me) and would rather do some of the backend crap like a CMS, Login forms or anything like that learn PHP.

It's nice to see some one trying to take on coding. You came to the right place for help.
I have heard of w3schools and have looked there. never really had the urge to start how ever now I do. I will start with HTML as that's what I will most probably learn at school next year so it's good already knowing some of it. What should I use to code? I have notepad++ lol

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
I have heard of w3schools and have looked there. never really had the urge to start how ever now I do. I will start with HTML as that's what I will most probably learn at school next year so it's good already knowing some of it. What should I use to code? I have notepad++ lol
I use notepad++, I bet you almost every web developer here uses it too.
Doubt anyone uses the default theme though

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
What do you mean with the default theme?
Oh, you poor soul, there's multiple themes you can use in notepad++, there's some already installed, get to them like this:
Settings -> "Style Configurator..." -> select a theme from the drop down menu next to "select theme:"

if you're doing HTML/CSS/PHP I'd recommend using the Twilight theme (already installed), I like it.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Oh, you poor soul, there's multiple themes you can use in notepad++, there's some already installed, get to them like this:
Settings -> "Style Configurator..." -> select a theme from the drop down menu next to "select theme:"

if you're doing HTML/CSS/PHP I'd recommend using the Twilight theme (already installed), I like it.

Thanks, I am just going to start a thorough study of w3schools first. read read read :D

Jan 17, 2012
HTML -> CSS -> PHP & SQL -> Programming languages such as C++, C# and Java.

I use Notepad++ for everything I code, expect for C#, I use Visual Studio for that.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
For coding in Notepad++ I would definitely recommend using the Obsidian theme, I have the creator of Notepad++ on Facebook and I often post snippets of my code on there, he loves the theme.

You seem to be keen in the web development area which is my favourite area, so I would recommend HTML first and then CSS. Dive into a bit of JavaScript/jQuery afterwards for nice effects and better user interactivity on your site.

I learned when I used to use Piczo years ago, I loved how you could create websites so I delved into it a bit more and ended up becoming obsessed with web development so since the age of 13 I've been writing web code lol 
Also, I wouldn't use W3Schools, some of the stuff they put up is incorrect and invalid HTML.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
For coding in Notepad++ I would definitely recommend using the Obsidian theme, I have the creator of Notepad++ on Facebook and I often post snippets of my code on there, he loves the theme.

You seem to be keen in the web development area which is my favourite area, so I would recommend HTML first and then CSS. Dive into a bit of JavaScript/jQuery afterwards for nice effects and better user interactivity on your site.

I learned when I used to use Piczo years ago, I loved how you could create websites so I delved into it a bit more and ended up becoming obsessed with web development so since the age of 13 I've been writing web code lol 
Also, I wouldn't use W3Schools, some of the stuff they put up is incorrect and invalid HTML.

Thank you very much for that helpful reply! I currently use Twilight as Mace suggested it. How ever I am not currently writing anything at the moment so I will give em both a go and choose.
I do want to make my own website one day, I am currently learning HTML... Reading the whole tutorial on w3schools. I plan on doing CSS afterwards as you suggested. Than I will definitely do Javascript, I dont know what jQuery is.

Where else could I learn instead of w3schools.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Welcome, I'm typing on phone btw so may be some spelling mistakes.

Go to -- look under the 'Code' section, that is some code I have written in the Obsidian theme, I love it.

jQuery is nothing more than a JavaScript library/framework to help assist JavaScript programmers. Their motto/slogan is "write less, do more" and they certainly deliver that! The syntax is so easy to read, even by people with 0 programming knowledge at all. View the site at

To be honest, the only advice is to either buy a book on web development, HTML and/or CSS. A web development book would cover both HTML and CSS I assume, the Dummies books are best for stuff like that

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Welcome, I'm typing on phone btw so may be some spelling mistakes.

Go to -- look under the 'Code' section, that is some code I have written in the Obsidian theme, I love it.

jQuery is nothing more than a JavaScript library/framework to help assist JavaScript programmers. Their motto/slogan is "write less, do more" and they certainly deliver that! The syntax is so easy to read, even by people with 0 programming knowledge at all. View the site at

To be honest, the only advice is to either buy a book on web development, HTML and/or CSS. A web development book would cover both HTML and CSS I assume, the Dummies books are best for stuff like that

Well ok, But w3schools seems like such a good resource. I might read it and than just play around for a bit with HTML. I can always get a book for dummies later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread