What to learn next?

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
I know a bit of Python and a lot of PHP, but I want to go more into computer programming, like Java or C#.

What should I learn and where should I start?

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Okay why would I wanna do that
C++ is fast, efficient and used widely in the games industry (amongst others)
Java can be fast (obviously not as fast as an optimized c++ program) and is also pretty easy to pick up. It's also one of the world's most widely used languages, and as a result, there's a ton of content out there (tutorials, books, libraries, etc)

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
C++ is fast, efficient and used widely in the games industry (amongst others)
Java can be fast (obviously not as fast as an optimized c++ program) and is also pretty easy to pick up. It's also one of the world's most widely used languages, and as a result, there's a ton of content out there (tutorials, books, libraries, etc)
Sweet. Can I develop in C++ with Visual Studio?

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Sweet. Can I develop in C++ with Visual Studio?
Yes. VS is written in C++ (parts of it are, not sure if every component is)
However, there's a few things that are platform-dependent (e.g epoll (linux), kqueue (osx/bsd) and iocp (win32)). However, the standard library is pretty much cross-platform.

TL;DR - Download visual studio

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
Yes. VS is written in C++ (parts of it are, not sure if every component is)
However, there's a few things that are platform-dependent (e.g epoll (linux), kqueue (osx/bsd) and iocp (win32)). However, the standard library is pretty much cross-platform.

TL;DR - Download visual studio
Yeah, I'm using a Windows machine right now so iocp will be what I'm using I guess.

Do I have to use that dumb Visual Studio 2013 or will the old 2008 one work?

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
2008 will work, although I'd recommend using 2013.
*shivers* changeeee
I remember making like dumb Habbo Coin Generators that didn't do shit with Visual Studio lmfao. Okay, thanks for the help, man.

I'm off to try and learn C++. I'll pick up a book tomorrow probably.

Aug 8, 2014
Java
Objected Oriented programming is something I recommend seeing as you developed php and it is also OOP.
OOP is more efficient and overall (for me) makes sense. I cant seem to imagine how I would go about programming without being object oriented.
I also believe due to large popularity of this language it would be easier to pick for you as more tutorials are widely available.

Regardless at the end of the day its not the language you use, but how you use it. Have Fun!

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
Python can be computer programming.. same with Perl. They don't have to be used exclusively for web development
I never said what I learned Python for. I learned it for computer programming, but I'd like to learn something else. I also never said anything about Perl.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
I never said what I learned Python for. I learned it for computer programming, but I'd like to learn something else. I also never said anything about Perl.
You said you only learned a bit, which leads to the question on why you wouldn't want to extend your knowledge on the language. Perl is always a good language to learn, especially if you want to get into system administration. It also helps to know it when developing in Java/C/C++, as it is probably has the best mutli-language integration out there.

Users who are viewing this thread