What CPU should I run with this Graphics Card?

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
I'm looking to either get a GTX 1060, 1070, or even a 1080. I know most would say "Man, 1080 for sure". I'd say the same, I'm not a hardcore graphics guy, I could care less about High or Extreme graphics. I'm looking to either make a new build or upgrade my current one, I want to run games like GTA V, Ark Survival, and other games at 60FPS steady or even more. I usually use V-Sync anyways, but I want a stable FPS.

I am currently running a GTX 960 with an FX 6300 (not the best, but I'm not into gaming much on my PC yet, I only built my PC for school). If I was to upgrade, it'd be pointless to have a FX 6300 in there for gaming as it's a pretty shit processor for gaming (I played a few games like CS:GO, Rocket League and they ran fine but Ark Survival and GTA V don't run at 60FPS and that just pisses me off) lol

I'd like the build (if it's not an upgrade) to be less than 1200$ if possible.

Here's my current build:

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
If you want to have any decent CPU you'd need to replace the motherboard too because the AM3+ socket has shit processors which will bottleneck the fuck out of a high-end graphics card.

I'd suggest getting a Skylake CPU (like an i6-6500) with a cheap LGA1151 motherboard.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
If you want to have any decent CPU you'd need to replace the motherboard too because the AM3+ socket has shit processors which will bottleneck the fuck out of a high-end graphics card.

I'd suggest getting a Skylake CPU (like an i6-6500) with a cheap LGA1151 motherboard.
I think you meant an i5-6500? I never heard of an i6, I may be wrong though. :p

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it for sure. I'm kinda swaying towards building a new computer rather than replacing more components in the computer than I need to. I know it'd be more money, but that's not an issue for me. I'd like an i7, preferably an i7-4770(or)K. If I was to get an i5, what would be the best processor in the i5 series? My buddy has an i7-4770 with a GTX 980 and his PC runs GTA V over 120FPS easily. He was the one who suggested rebuilding with an Intel.

If I was going to build with an Intel processor, what would your suggestions be for a motherboard?

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
I think you meant an i5-6500? I never heard of an i6, I may be wrong though. :p

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it for sure. I'm kinda swaying towards building a new computer rather than replacing more components in the computer than I need to. I know it'd be more money, but that's not an issue for me. I'd like an i7, preferably an i7-4770(or)K. If I was to get an i5, what would be the best processor in the i5 series? My buddy has an i7-4770 with a GTX 980 and his PC runs GTA V over 120FPS easily. He was the one who suggested rebuilding with an Intel.

If I was going to build with an Intel processor, what would your suggestions be for a motherboard?

Yeah I meant i5-6500, but I just realised you'd need to get DDR4 RAM too.

So I'd get Haswell/4th gen CPU instead.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Doing i7 6700k + Fury X/1080 for you rn
You'll be able to get 300-500 for that build you currently have if you sold it.
I don't want an i7-6700k lol. I am selling it for $800. Me and a guy are talking now and he offered $700, so I think I'm selling it. Don't assume prices on things, I overprice mine all the time, and I still get what I want for it.

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
I don't want an i7-6700k lol. I am selling it for $800. Me and a guy are talking now and he offered $700, so I think I'm selling it. Don't assume prices on things, I overprice mine all the time, and I still get what I want for it.
wtf you found a retard lol gj.
Why don't you want an i7 6700k?

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
wtf you found a retard lol gj.
Why don't you want an i7 6700k?
People where I live don't care about their money, so you can get what you want. I'm not really planning on overclocking. My buddy has a 6700 and also has a 4790, he said he gets better performance when his 4790 is in the computer rather than his 6700.

I mean, they are pretty even honestly when you take a look at CPU Boss. I'd prefer a 4790 over it though, it seems more promising, I could be wrong.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Cooler

Mobo

RAM

CPU

PSU

and whatever gfx card you want i have a 750ti it's all i need for now really

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Cooler

Mobo

RAM

CPU

PSU

and whatever gfx card you want i have a 750ti it's all i need for now really
You realize I'm building a computer probably two or three times what the price of yours is? Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but it needs higher-end parts. Everyone builds different, preferably, I don't use cheap parts other than my computer that I am using now, but that was for school and once it sells I'll be switching over to the build I'm working on.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
You realize I'm building a computer probably two or three times what the price of yours is? Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but it needs higher-end parts. Everyone builds different, preferably, I don't use cheap parts other than my computer that I am using now, but that was for school and once it sells I'll be switching over to the build I'm working on.
well there's no reason to have a 6000 for gaming a 4th gen i5 will do fine.. i run gtav stable 60 with vsync off and high-very high settings on an i5 4440 and a 750ti so idk what kinda poopy cpu that fx is to bottle neck you that hard

edit: there is a reason to get a i5 6k if you want a future proof build though i guess

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
People where I live don't care about their money, so you can get what you want. I'm not really planning on overclocking. My buddy has a 6700 and also has a 4790, he said he gets better performance when his 4790 is in the computer rather than his 6700.

I mean, they are pretty even honestly when you take a look at CPU Boss. I'd prefer a 4790 over it though, it seems more promising, I could be wrong.
The 6700k is like same price and is 5% better. Do not EVER use cpuboss, it's trash. The 6700k also has newer technologies and actually supports DDR4.

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
You learn something new everyday, I'll be sure to look into the 6700/k now :)
I will get you a build together soon, < I wouldn't recommend userbenchmark either as synthetic benchmarks never really tell the full story but you can see it is faster. Would use it over cpuboss ofc tho.

Jump

You are beautiful beyond comprehension
Feb 16, 2011
- I've kept the majority of your parts in, thus you can salvage your build or start from new... just edit it.

Take it as a grain of salt, I cannot promise you what you desire with it (but I can, as you will destroy games with that).

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
- I've kept the majority of your parts in, thus you can salvage your build or start from new... just edit it.

Take it as a grain of salt, I cannot promise you what you desire with it (but I can, as you will destroy games with that).
All those expensive PC components yet you cheap out on the power supply....

Users who are viewing this thread