Web Development - How Do I Get Started

percocet

Oct 21, 2016
Hey,
Throughout my short time here on devbest its become clear to me that web development is a big chunk of this communities passion. After getting bored of java and being inspired by users on here to try python (which i love, so thank you - made me realize how laborious java code and syntax really is), I've decided to try web development. But I don't know where to get started - what books or tutorials are best, and what languages should I aim for? Should i go for html, css, javascript, or php &mySQL.

Anyway, I really would just like some input on how and where I should get started, and what mistakes you made getting started were so I could avoid them.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
If you're looking for a good place to get started, I'd recommend " ". It'll teach you the basics of modern PHP, how to interact with a database, structuring an application, etc. As for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript; obviously they are a must, as they are the fundamental building blocks of the web. I'd also argue that MySQL (or some variant of it) is a must.

Sly

I don't break the rules I bend them.
Oct 28, 2016
If you're looking for a good place to get started, I'd recommend " ". It'll teach you the basics of modern PHP, how to interact with a database, structuring an application, etc. As for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript; obviously they are a must, as they are the fundamental building blocks of the web. I'd also argue that MySQL (or some variant of it) is a must.
Thankyou Bigdog, very informative comment.

Lame

Nov 6, 2014
If you're willing to start, follow along with Codecademy or TeamTreehouse.
Codecademy is free, but has a premium service; TeamTreehouse is subscription-based, but you can try out a trial.

Users who are viewing this thread