Using a proxy but what's wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2016
Hello guys so we have our site "playhablure.xyz" but we're having a tiny issue and don't know why it causes this, he has a reverse proxy(for http & domain), but when we try to use the reverse proxy we get 404 not found. We are using IIS and would like to know how do we set up the reverse proxy to "show" the websites files?

Where do we put the reverse proxy IP to allow it to show the files correctly

If they put in their proxy host, make sure you have your links correct & don't just do " " use the shortname as the destination domain, also make sure that you have the "A" record set to the proxy IP as is, for example don't change the TTL, just change the IP it directs to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cater

part of isis
Jan 9, 2011
Reverse Proxy is just made up of a TCP & HTTP proxy. TCP proxy goes onto your client.php under connection info host & port. The HTTP proxy goes into your cloudflare if you have clouflare, if not then I'd suggest you make one and put your HTTP proxy IP into your cloudflare and update your nameservers on your domain hosting.

It may not be this, you could try making a redirect rule in IIS, correcting broken links that leads people to this page, restore a deleted page that you may of deleted.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Redirect your domain directly from your host (GoDaddy etc) to the HTTP proxy IP. Although CloudFlare with Under attack mode would work just as well.

TCP proxy would go in your client.php a long with the port just like @cameron123 said.

Jan 7, 2016
Reverse Proxy is just made up of a TCP & HTTP proxy. TCP proxy goes onto your client.php under connection info host & port. The HTTP proxy goes into your cloudflare if you have clouflare, if not then I'd suggest you make one and put your HTTP proxy IP into your cloudflare and update your nameservers on your domain hosting.

It may not be this, you could try making a redirect rule in IIS, correcting broken links that leads people to this page, restore a deleted page that you may of deleted.
I'm pretty sure none of the links are broken as they work with the domain itself straight to the VPS IP so maybe you're right but I don't see why cloudflare would make a difference?
Redirect your domain directly from your host (GoDaddy etc) to the HTTP proxy IP. Although CloudFlare with Under attack mode would work just as well.

TCP proxy would go in your client.php a long with the port just like @cameron123 said.
lol but that is where the main cause is JMG, it still would do 404 nginx, we've even tried adding it on the IIS and even on goddady domain itself in DNS and just does 404.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure none of the links are broken as they work with the domain itself straight to the VPS IP so maybe you're right but I don't see why cloudflare would make a difference?

lol but that is where the main cause is JMG, it still would do 404 nginx, we've even tried adding it on the IIS and even on goddady domain itself in DNS and just does 404.
Who is your host for the proxy/VPS?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
From past experience aren't their proxies useless? I'm pretty sure they go down or can be hit down easily, that's why they're so cheap.

I've honestly only used PipeGuard for the HTTP proxy, maybe you're not changing the DNS settings for your domain properly, have you asked your host on how to do this or can you show me the setup?

Jan 7, 2016
From past experience aren't their proxies useless? I'm pretty sure they go down or can be hit down easily, that's why they're so cheap.

I've honestly only used PipeGuard for the HTTP proxy, maybe you're not changing the DNS settings for your domain properly, have you asked your host on how to do this or can you show me the setup?
I do not own the domain but I will make sure to check his configs for the proxy to make sure they are correct.

Cater

part of isis
Jan 9, 2011
I meant in the server itself. In IIS manager you could check under 'Sites' that it's configured properly and it's a default website, making sure all the security permissions are correct and make sure the site URL is correct inside the IIS default site manager.
It also may be that you're not uploading your CMS correctly or something is wrong with your htaccess which can change things within your URL so you could try and upload a new htaccess or try and find errors with that.
Other than that, I'd contact your host and see if they can help you with things.

Agreed, hostsavor tcp proxies especially have always been really slow or don't work sometimes, I host @ xhosts/ddosprotected which are pretty good except for when you want to edit backend server IPs etc.

Jan 7, 2016
I meant in the server itself. In IIS manager you could check under 'Sites' that it's configured properly and it's a default website, making sure all the security permissions are correct and make sure the site URL is correct inside the IIS default site manager.
It also may be that you're not uploading your CMS correctly or something is wrong with your htaccess which can change things within your URL so you could try and upload a new htaccess or try and find errors with that.
Other than that, I'd contact your host and see if they can help you with things.

Agreed, hostsavor tcp proxies especially have always been really slow or don't work sometimes, I host @ xhosts/ddosprotected which are pretty good except for when you want to edit backend server IPs etc.
Once again cameron, everything is linked correctly on the CMS, and IIS uses web.config, same thing linked correctly and it's not slow for us right now as we are using the proxy for the client connection soo :/ As stated before, I'll just find it out myself what's wrong.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
It should have nothing to do with your IIS manager. If you're using a HTTP proxy all that does it link back to your original website, cleaning traffic through their end. If your domain links to the proxy and the proxy links back to your web host then you should be good to go. Remember to leave up to 48 hours for DNS changes.

Jan 7, 2016
It should have nothing to do with your IIS manager. If you're using a HTTP proxy all that does it link back to your original website, cleaning traffic through their end. If your domain links to the proxy and the proxy links back to your web host then you should be good to go. Remember to leave up to 48 hours for DNS changes.
Okay well I resolved the issue myself so close this thread also I said absolutely nothing about "IIS Manager", he specifically stated that it could be my .htaccess but the .htaccess does not exist because that is for things like XAMPP, ect. Anyhow, on-topic: Solved the issue myself.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Anyway... How did you fix this for people having the same issue in future?

Jan 7, 2016
Anyway... How did you fix this for people having the same issue in future?
If they put in their proxy host, make sure you have your links correct & don't just do " " use the shortname as the destination domain, also make sure that you have the "A" record set to the proxy IP as is, for example don't change the TTL, just change the IP it directs to it.

Reactions: Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread