Status
Not open for further replies.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Is Ubuntu worth it for a laptop?

My laptop specs are:
  • Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2410 @ 2.00GHz
  • Memory (RAM): 2038MB
It would help me alot if you can help me check out a detailed information about my laptop's hardware. I knew it before but forgot it as months pass by.

And is running on a Windows with temporary loader. My legitimate key used to work until it stopped, so I'm finding a free operating system and a friend of mine recommended Ubuntu. I checked out the online tour and it's alright, roamed around for testimonials and they were positive and suits my needs.

Also seen on the site it's packed with some pre-installed applications such as Thunderbird, Firefox and others? ... and I got a crap ass speed internet so estimated remaining time is 3h. Also I'm getting it through Wubi installation.

Also, would my existing camera, video card, sound card and other hardwares can be made/is compatible with Ubuntu?

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Wubi isn't brilliant for proper full on usage..
Your hardware should be compatible, but double check on the forums just to make sure. My suggestion is to boot something like Fedora, but Ubuntu is nice if you install the KDE desktop with it ;).

Ash

Jun 14, 2011
Ubuntu is fast and safe, it's extremely good. Fedora is where it's at now though.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
I forgot where I have placed my USB... misplaced it. So yeah, but I'll try using the ISO image instead.

Christmas

Jul 24, 2011
Why don't you dual boot for a while and if you dislike ubuntu, delete it and find another OS? or something like that ^.^

Thom

You can't touch this
Oct 1, 2010
I've always been tempted to get Ubuntu, Fedora or some other linux system, but I could never find the right drivers etc. I recommend looking to make sure everything is supported first.

Bren

Feb 15, 2012
I just downloaded UBUNTU destop. I'd strongly recommend it, it's seriously so good. You can edit your click speeds/mouse speeds etc. It's generally so quick. Before I got it, I could only open 2/3 programs. I can have 10 or so open before even feeling a slight lag.
I can get you the link, that I used earlier if you're interested. :}

Nike

#MGK
Jun 9, 2012
I am getting windows vista boot manager. Then I am getting ubuntu. I have heard good about this. I am so EXCITED :p

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
I'm dual booting windows and mac, but ubuntu has come to my interest.

People say other linux operating systems are good like fedora. So if I like ubuntu I might try others too.

I'm going to install it now - Triple Booting!

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
:up: I got it already. Pretty fast than Windows, and askubuntu has answers when I get in trouble (esp. when I removed administrator password, I was messed).

The only thing is that it didn't detected my printer (which was installed on Windows) and the camera. Although I might try adding them soon, as the printer has their options on installing.

The GUI is sleek too! And the CMD is called Terminal there. ;)

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
Dual boot. The last thing you want is to fuck up your current OS by losing all drivers and what not. If you really like it, and everything works for you, go ahead.

Personally, I wouldn't as too many of my programs are on Windows and I like Windows, although Ubuntu is tempting and it's nice.

discript

Jul 12, 2010
Linux is much better than windows! There is so much more functionality and there are some brilliant support community's behind these OS's! I have used Linux on multiple machines at home and at my dads company's offices. At my dads company's offices, all the computers duel-boot windows and Ubuntu Linux. We all so have over 200 servers that run Linux, as it is much better for hosting sites!(That is all of our servers except 5) There are sooo many Linux OS's ( Distros as the Linux world calls them, Short for Distribution), From the The Distros like OpenSuse aimed at offices(Fast, Good looking is you use the KDE Version) to the very small and materialistic Distro: Puppy Linux Which is only 98MB! The main thing you have to make sure of is that all software you will need is available in Linux.( If its not you can use a brilliant Linux program called WINE to run & install windows programs!) The magazine 'Linux user and developer' did a review on the top distros so here is the list right out of the magazine, you could download and play around with them in live CD mode; there free after all and will all run on your Specs! (i have tried most of these and have enjoyed most of them):

No.1 - Linux Mint (Fast but is a bit behind the times, in terms of its GUI)
No.2 - Ubuntu (The best for desktops and servers in my opinion)
No.3 - Fedora (The place to be for the newest in Linux!)
No.4 - openSUSE (good for multiple PC's in an Office)
No.5 - Debian (The oldest distro ive used, It is the base for Linux Mint, Ubuntu & Many others!)
No.6 - Arch Linux (Not for beginners in Linux!!!!!)
No.7 - Puppy Linux (Good for old or slow PC'S; I mean 80's 90's)
No.8 - Pardus Linux (Haven't tried!)
No.9 - Mageia (Haven't tried!)
No.10 - PCLinuxOS (Haven't tried!)

Yours TheDiscript!

micky011

Jun 25, 2012
hello
Ubuntu OS is very good, this is virus proof.

i am micky .
ubuntu i am use few days, after i am deleted

hello
yes Linux is beater another command OS .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread