[Tutorial] Ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode.

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
Hi! Alright, so start off, I faced this problem myself ages ago on my laptop and since back then I never encountered such problem and since I didn't have much content/data on my laptop as it was my secondary device, I just decided to reinstall Ubuntu and fix the problem. And I didn't think much of it at the time, until I recalled what happened and researched the error. Anyways, just a few moments earlier I faced the exact same problem, and thankfully I knew how to fix and get rid of it, and thus, I'll share the solution with you guys, those who already are experts with Linux and Linux derived issues and also new comers who's this is their first time with Ubuntu.

Anyways, this issue has many solutions and many sources from which it could generate, the most common ones will be listed below with their proper solutions.

1. Ubuntu Desktop based error:
Now, this is the common source of the 'Ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode' error, it's the most common yes, but it's not so hard to fix, all you need to do is run one simple command then reboot and the problem should be fixed and gone.

First thing to do with run a new Terminal window by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1, input your account's credentials then run this command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
Once you've successfully ran that command, type: sudo reboot

Once your computer has rebooted, the problem should be fixed and gone.

2. Greeter based error:
This one isn't so common but it's the one that caused me to have to face this error earlier this evening, the fix is easy as well.

First, open a new Terminal window by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 (as mentioned earlier in the thread), input your account's credentials then run this command:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Once you've done that, you will have to change:
Code:
greeter-session=pantheon-greeter
to:
Code:
greeter-session=unity-greeter

Save, exit and reboot by typing 'sudo reboot'. If the problem still occurs after rebooting, don't worry, open the Terminal again and follow the mentioned steps, except this time, just delete 'greeter-session=unity-greeter', then save; exit and reboot. Once you rebooted, the issue should be fixed and gone.

Also, I tried to be as specific and as clear as I could possibly be, so even those who are new to Ubuntu could comprehend. If neither of these solutions provide you with the proper required assistance, leave a reply and I'll get back to you. I hope I helped. :)

P.S: If staff don't find the section appropriate for this thread, please move it to the proper section.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread