[TUT] Graphic Programs & Resources [iDream]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andeh

the best cis-boy
Jun 1, 2010
Major Image Editing Programs
Most image editing programs are commercial, and therefore require payment for use. However, trial versions are available and can be used all the same.

Adobe Photoshop CS4
Probably the professional graphic artists best friend. It can be a little confusing if you're a first time user, but hunt for some Photoshop tutorials using Google. These will introduce you to the various and wonderful things you can do in Photoshop.

Macromedia Fireworks CS4
An alternative to Photoshop with fewer options and filters, but more user friendly. Great for pixel art. Not as confusing as Photoshop, although you could find tutorials if that would help.

Commercial Product. Trial version

GIMP
A free program for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. I have not personally used GIMP, but it sounds like a great starting point, as it's free and tutorials can be found on their website.

Free Product. Downloads and tutorials at

Paint.NET
Paint.NET is free image editing and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.

Free product. Downloads at
Tutorials and Help at

Canvas
Canvas is more of a technical drawing application, however it can be used much like Photoshop of Fireworks.

Commerical Product. Download 15 day trial at

Corel Paint Shop Pro
Formerly Jasc Paintshop Pro, it's basically a toned down version of Photoshop. A bit more user friendly, and it doesn't have all the really strong graphical features for designers, so it's well suited for begginers.
It has it's own in-built graphics and images to play with, so some good backgrounds can be made without having to go hunting for something to start with.

Commercial Product: 30-day trial available at

Fractal Art Rendering Programs
I wouldn't recommend getting into these unless you're serious about your graphics. Fractal art is hard to explain. It's basically a math related form of art that makes some pretty sweet abstract graphics. Great for backgrounds.

Apophysis
This little program makes some nice random fractal flames (not fire flames, it's a fractal art term).

Chaoscope
This program supports all kind of fractals, unlike Apophysis. It can also produce solid 3D fractals. Some examples are on the main web page.

Resources
Resources are an essential for graphic artists. Here are a few for you to use.

deviantART

An online community of graphic designers of all types. Anime, pixel, fractal, vector, etc. Not only does it showcase other people's work, but it also makes resources such as Photoshop Brushes, Patterns and Actions. As well as GIMP Brushes and Actions. Access these by clicking "Categories" > "Resources" > "Application Resources" from the menu.
These are the things you should be using the most. Remember to cite the rightful owners.

dafont.com
A great online font resource. Millions of fonts, all sorted into categories to help you find what you're looking for. I probably use this site the most.

Good-Tutorials
A wide range of tutorials. A great database of Photoshop tutorials on animation, basics, design, effects and much more. This is a great place to start learning how to use Photoshop.

Allen

Jul 1, 2010
lol, I use GIMP for when I take up-close pics of my face. So I can edit it to make my skin look greater! Pretty cool. :p
Thanks, some of this programs I didn't know about. Gunna check um out now. :D

groovybluedog

Aug 18, 2010
The colour tags went a bit wrong, However nice resource list. I do not have a favourite as i cannot fairly compare without using every single one.

Ayumi

Joshua Pike.
Sep 13, 2010
Nice tutorials sites and good list. very useful... Maybe add C4D their?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread