Starting a Retro from scratch.

MisterRic

Jun 14, 2020
Hi folks, hope you're all well.

I've recently returned back to this "industry" if you like. Thinks have moved on a LONG Way since I last dabbled in creating and hosting servers. I am looking at creating a hotel, with essentially zero knowledge. Now, I know you'll see these posts all the time; "HELP ME I CANT CONNECT TO MYSQL" "HELP ME I CANT LOAD THE CLIENT", etc. My question is (and I have already searched!) is there any detailed guides? I've had a look through here but the VPS that I purchased came preinstalled with a hotel + CMS. Unfortunately it was garbage so I deleted it and planned to follow a part 1 & 2 guide I found on Devbest.

I have tried to change my MySQL mode from strict, but when I run the query I always get errors back. Unfortunately I can't either install or modify Xampp as the folders were already set up on my host. Of course, I am currently unable to import any databases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Don’t use preinstalled servers, they’re most likely setup badly or the files they use really suck.

There’s tons of releases, tutorials etc to setup a retro, my personal choice if you’re new would be to just use Plus and RevCMS, they’re both extremely easy to use.

Don’t use XAMPP either, just use IIS.

MisterRic

Jun 14, 2020
Don’t use preinstalled servers, they’re most likely setup badly or the files they use really suck.

There’s tons of releases, tutorials etc to setup a retro, my personal choice if you’re new would be to just use Plus and RevCMS, they’re both extremely easy to use.

Don’t use XAMPP either, just use IIS.

Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. I've been trawling the forums, with my server coming pre-installed I'm struggling to find my way around haha. Are you free for a couple of questions?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. I've been trawling the forums, with my server coming pre-installed I'm struggling to find my way around haha. Are you free for a couple of questions?
Sure! Fire away. I would personally use a server from 4it.bz preferably the SSD UK machines, they’re very fast, reliable and they’re not expensive!

MisterRic

Jun 14, 2020
Sure! Fire away. I would personally use a server from 4it.bz preferably the SSD UK machines, they’re very fast, reliable and they’re not expensive!
I was going to post these via a PM but i'll do it here for the reference of anyone else;

1. Is there an easier way to edit catalogue items for each rank, aside from going through the database and doing it manually?
2. I'm using Pheonix for my server as it came pre installed. What CMS would you recommend using for it? Do they tend to have "setup" .php files?
3. Is adding commands in easy enough? There's a few that I'd require; Buildheight, Rolldice, etc. Can they be found and imported?

Thanks again!

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I was going to post these via a PM but i'll do it here for the reference of anyone else;

1. Is there an easier way to edit catalogue items for each rank, aside from going through the database and doing it manually?
2. I'm using Pheonix for my server as it came pre installed. What CMS would you recommend using for it? Do they tend to have "setup" .php files?
3. Is adding commands in easy enough? There's a few that I'd require; Buildheight, Rolldice, etc. Can they be found and imported?

Thanks again!
It’s pretty easy to edit your catalogue, once you get the jist of it you’ll be making pages and adding items for dozens of ranks. I just personally setup a Staff section and add all of the nice rares in their own categories there, then just setup VIP pages. This takes a few hours.

I personally would not use your preinstalled server, use PlusEMU or Arcturus. Phoenix is R63A so the version is very old compared to R63B.

You can find commands released on here for PlusEMU. Not sure how open source Phoenix is, and for Arcturus I believe they use plugins. It’s best to actually try different things as 99% of questions you probably have, have already been answered over the years.

MisterRic

Jun 14, 2020
It’s pretty easy to edit your catalogue, once you get the jist of it you’ll be making pages and adding items for dozens of ranks. I just personally setup a Staff section and add all of the nice rares in their own categories there, then just setup VIP pages. This takes a few hours.

I personally would not use your preinstalled server, use PlusEMU or Arcturus. Phoenix is R63A so the version is very old compared to R63B.

You can find commands released on here for PlusEMU. Not sure how open source Phoenix is, and for Arcturus I believe they use plugins. It’s best to actually try different things as 99% of questions you probably have, have already been answered over the years.

I seem to break my server everytime I try and switch over to something different haha. I'll see if I can find any decent tutorials for switching over!

Users who are viewing this thread