Sony announces Next Generation Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
Sony has announced its next handheld device.

Codenamed the NGP, or Next Generation Portable, it will feature two analogue sticks and a touch-sensitive five inch OLED display that boasts four times the resolution of the PSP, according to PlayStation Blog.

A touch panel situated on the rear of the device will be mapped out at the same size and position as the screen.

Oriented towards social networking, augmented reality and location-based gaming, it'll feature a persistent 3G connection, electronic compass on three axes and cameras on the front and back.

The NGP's form factor is similar to the original PSP, with a more rounded design suited to longer play sessions.

Games will be available through flash-based cartridges named New Game Media and digitally through the PlayStation Store.

Confirmed franchises coming to the device include Call Of Duty, Uncharted, Wipeout, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Daze, Reality Fighters, Smart As, Broken and Little Deviants.

The system will also use the LiveArea service, acting as a gateway between friends, downloadable content and Trophies, as well as the recently announced PlayStation Suite.

Sony announced the device during its PlayStation Meeting in Tokyo, Japan.

550w_gaming_ngp.jpg

Source - DigitalSpy

I actually think it's fucking awesome, it is just a suitable size and way better design + two analog sticks, so it feels like a PS3 in miniature ;D
And, as said, it is oriented into Social Networking, so I would imagine seeing Skype so yo can use that camera.

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
It's almost taken the design of the play station (PSP) but no doubt it's better, I can actually say they will earn a couple of coins in there pockets for this.

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
woah, im so getting my hands on one of these :D

Is there any info on a release or is it a project in development?

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
It's really the next generation of the PSP, and you could say it's in development.
I will buy it too lol, I'm excited about the PS3 feel of it, and the hope I have for Skype.

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
it'll feature a persistent 3G connection

Persistant 3G, does this mean that it is connected to the internet always then?
If so, wont this require a sim card style function, similar to the ipad?
Meaning to connect to 3G will cost you money

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
Of course, 3G isn't free.
For more information about it you can go to:
There's also a video of it there.

Bazinga

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2010
Ive never been a big fan of handheld consoles but I think adding social network connections and 3G capabilities will vastly increase the market for this, I might even consider buying it ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread