shoutbox update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Apparently people can't see the redbox enough so here's my idea, before you can talk in the SB, there's arrows blocking the shoutbox pointing to the big red box, and once you click a button (something like accept or whatever) the arrows go away and you can see. Maybe everytime you load the SB it opens, or it pops up every 24 hours.

@RastaLulz
@Kryptos
@Canadian
@Olympian

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
But 1/8 of Devbest Population is full of habbotards :(

- You're going off-topic, please stick to the thread title.
More like at least 60% of the population here are just here for the Habbo section.

Anyway, members banning other members would be chaos.

Problems with ecko's idea:
-How will it work, will a staff come online and see the votes (therefore a staff could have banned anyway), or will once a user gets so many votes they get banned? If it goes on # of votes then people would just form a gang and ruin others for fun.

Problems with Mace's idea:
-So the people who have been using DevBest for ages and never post Habboshit still have to deal with the arrows and button to press every 24 hours?

Problem with Ki's idea:
-If we remove Habbo section, bye bye half of DevBest, and then there will be less subs meaning less money generated so less money to help pay the bills.

It's gonna be really hard, and I don't think there is a way that this can be solved without hurting DevBest overall.

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
There's nearly always 1 staff member on, tbh it's not really a problem most the time if you mention the warning they stop talking about it

I don't believe in banning if it's their first time mentioning I simply warn them then if it continues I'll follow with a ban

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
This could be abused though, couldn't it? For example a group of users could team up or just 1 user make multiple accounts to vote ban?
yeah but if we use the other system where a single user has all the power (example me) I could ban urbody I want (as long as they're a rank below me).
they use this in quite a lot of games actually, like bf1, bf2, bf3, bf4, Minecraft, Starcraft and more. There's a possibility of abuse but it should be something like 10 users have to voteban, but if there's not 10 users online then atleast 50% of the users online voteban the person. something like that?

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
This could be abused though, couldn't it? For example a group of users could team up or just 1 user make multiple accounts to vote ban?
It can and will be abused. Some of the members are tight group that follow one another and/or stick up for each other regardless if they are in the wrong. Therefore will abuse this.

The most suitable option would be to have shoutbox mods which only allow power within the shoutbox. However once again this could lead to abuse if members have personal disputes with members

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
yeah but if we use the other system where a single user has all the power (example me) I could ban urbody I want (as long as they're a rank below me).
they use this in quite a lot of games actually, like bf1, bf2, bf3, bf4, Minecraft, Starcraft and more. There's a possibility of abuse but it should be something like 10 users have to voteban, but if there's not 10 users online then atleast 50% of the users online voteban the person. something like that?
How about only people with 200 posts + can participate in a voteban

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
There's no point in blocking out the word Habbo it will just lead to people finding alternatives like every other blocked word here on the forum. H4BB0, H.ABOO etc.

The having a high post count I think could also be a let down, there are a lot of people who don't have high post counts and only really come on for the shoutbox and they don't spam or anything. Why make people with low post count suffer because of spamming Habbo people.

Just get rid of it, no more Habbo, no more people asking for Habbo help (like others have said).

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
A better thing could be just like what happens when you say a rival forum's name, but instead of bleeping it out, it just doesn't say it at all, and a box ops up saying "No habbo talk in the shoutbox, read the red box!"

@RastaLulz I think this is a better idea than either of the previous ones because it's not intrusive to the other users and there's no risk of people getting power hungry @Wess
now I feel bad because @Wess liked this :(

Rastaberry

Rooster 4 president 2k14
Dec 3, 2010
Don't really like the voting ban: Because as said before many people stick up for others and then people get banned for no reason when everyone is votebanning that person.

They maybe should just remove the whole Habbo section if they really want to get rid of the Habbo related talk on the shoutbox. The talk about Habbo have really simmered down but people are not listening untill they get told to listen or untill they get banned they realise their wrongs.

The whole giving special people powers isn't going to work either just because for the abusing and for the whole sticking up for others it's just going to go wrong. And it's just going to end out that people are turning overpowered with their powers.

The moderators and super moderators are trying but the users who talk Habbo related just don't seem care a lot.

Just try to think what would happen if: Maybe if the Habbo section goes out people will go away ( People who came partionally for the Habbo section but also for the others ).

When people are being banned because they are calling their friend a douche is gonna make people run out as well and it's just gonna be a community of friends who have it good with each other not people who come here for what the forum also was made for.

Last edited:

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
Don't really like the voting ban: Because as said before many people stick up for others and then people get banned for no reason when everyone is votebanning that person.

They maybe should just remove the whole Habbo section if they really want to get rid of the Habbo related talk on the shoutbox. The talk about Habbo have really simmered down but people are not listening untill they get told to listen or untill they get banned they realise their wrongs.

The whole giving special people powers isn't going to work either just because for the abusing and for the whole sticking up for others it's just going to go wrong. And it's just going to end out that people are turning overpowered with their powers.

The moderators and super moderators are trying but the users who talk Habbo related just don't seem care a lot.

Just try to think what would happen if: Maybe if the Habbo section goes out people will go away ( People who came partionally for the Habbo section but also for the others ).

When people are being banned because they are calling their friend a douche is gonna make people run out as well and it's just gonna be a community of friends who have it good with each other not people who come here for what the forum also was made for.
I think you have a really good point here, many people comes to this forum for a reason, and later on ends up staying because of the rest of the forum. Now also when u have all the sections (even if it is a lot of work with the habbo talking in the shoutbox) people can stay at 1 place instead of moving around for different things.

Bleep

PHP - HTML - CSS - JAVA ✔
Oct 19, 2012
I agree with Lepos. No more Habbo; RZ does that.
Giving users banning powers, voting for banning etc is pretty pointless. Barely any dedicated users look at the Habbo section and neither do most of the community. By removing Habbo, Devbest will be much better and more focused on developing. Habbo Development is dead now anyway so even if people were still interested, it wouldn't last long.

Rastaberry

Rooster 4 president 2k14
Dec 3, 2010
Just to be honest: The whole idea of giving people secret powers is just stupid plain stupid. People will just become overpowered and abuse it loads of times on people they don't like at all the whole idea of it is stupid. Same goes for the voting it's just an overpowered command that people just want to use on the people they don't like or on the people that they don't want to see it's plain stupid and I'm just going to hope that it's never going to appear.

Just remove the Habbo section then it doesn't do much to people to remove the Habbo section because the section is kind-off dead anyway it's just going to get this all to stop and then the box under the shoutbox can be deleted as well because then there is no Habbo related talk anymore ( Maybe a little but not much anymore ).

Jeffrey

Devbest Indian Tech Support
FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
If we remove the Habbo Section we remove 60% Of the Community and where most of the messages are. The Habbo Section has over 80,000 messages and it's getting moderated and getting better everyday. Legion is Cleaning and (with the help of me and other people) doing his job.
The Vote Ban isn't a bad idea if it doesn't get into the hands of evil people. Yes You may not see them at first but they will abuse it soon. Recently we have been stopping people who talk about habbo (retros) and it's decreasing with the campaign effort. Devbest is focusing more into gaming, but look Battlefield and Call of Duty Sections are a bit inactive.
Who would side with their friend and abuse their job and risk getting fired?

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
If we remove the Habbo Section we remove 60% Of the Community and where most of the messages are. The Habbo Section has over 80,000 messages and it's getting moderated and getting better everyday. Legion is Cleaning and (with the help of me and other people) doing his job.
The Vote Ban isn't a bad idea if it doesn't get into the hands of evil people. Yes You may not see them at first but they will abuse it soon. Recently we have been stopping people who talk about habbo (retros) and it's decreasing with the campaign effort. Devbest is focusing more into gaming, but look Battlefield and Call of Duty Sections are a bit inactive.
Who would side with their friend and abuse their job and risk getting fired?
So you're suggesting keeping the section that DevBest is trying oh so hard to move away from? The people we'll most likely use are people who only come online for help in the Habbo section and for those who actually genuinely come on here often and post in the Habbo section, they'll either stay with the community that has grown on them or leave completely.

Removing Habbo will get rid of all of the spammers etc and give space for a brand new community to arise here on DevBest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread