Should I make the switch to Ubuntu?

Stalin

Some people are cunts, oh well.
Aug 17, 2013
Hey DevBest!
I've been considering switching from Windows 7 to Ubuntu for a while now but just need that extra push to do so. I've been doing a lot of research into it and I like what I've been reading. So...
Do you guys have any experience with Ubuntu? If so was it good or bad?
What are the upsides and downsides of using Ubuntu?

Brackson

卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍
Jun 20, 2013
Windows is only good if you're into gaming. Ubuntu has about all that Windows has and more, but there's a bit of a learning curve, mostly using the terminal and downloading programs. But once you get used to everything it will be a lot easier.

I prefer the Xubuntu DE though. It's easier on the eyes and will help you get used to the UI more, since it's more Windows-like. I also would suggest using WUBI to download it if you don't know how to partition your hard drive, or don't want to boot from a disk.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. :p

Mee

May 4, 2012
When I had Windows I wanted to switch to Ubuntu and my friend recommended me to do so. Main reason was cos we wanted to start a server on this game which Ubuntu is useful for. Theres some bugs with Ubuntu however where I had to reinstall Ubuntu or delete it etc so if your more into using computers for personal use, stick with Windows. Coding/other sort of nerdy things, go with Ubuntu.

Brackson

卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍
Jun 20, 2013
When I had Windows I wanted to switch to Ubuntu and my friend recommended me to do so. Main reason was cos we wanted to start a server on this game which Ubuntu is useful for. Theres some bugs with Ubuntu however where I had to reinstall Ubuntu or delete it etc so if your more into using computers for personal use, stick with Windows. Coding/other sort of nerdy things, go with Ubuntu.
Using Ubuntu is fine for personal and nerdy use. I think that it just connotates that way because people think that it's super difficult and complex, when it's really not.

However, you should always backup your files when using Ubuntu, as well as any other operating system.

Stalin

Some people are cunts, oh well.
Aug 17, 2013
What about using the Ubuntu DE? I rather like it's look, is there much of a difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu?

-Jordan-

Feb 19, 2011
Ubuntu is really great at first but once you find out that there is a huge lack of software you really won't last long. If you want to try it just dual boot it, I use it to compile Android Kernels and thats about it. I mostly use Windows.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Imo, I wouldn't say Windows is only good for gaming lol?

Anyway, ask yourself "What would I gain from switching?" think about the positives and negatives from switching and then base your decision around how that turns out.

Personally, I like ubuntu as I find it pretty neat. However, I'm back to windows 7 now but that is just a personal choice.

Users who are viewing this thread