TheRealMoonman

I eat babies
Sep 30, 2014
Should Australia have a British head of state or Australian head of state

If you think Australia should be a republic, cast a vote here to :p

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Seriously? That petition is disgraceful. At least put some effort into it, add points as to why you think Australia should go through the long legal process of becoming independent from the Queen (something Tony would never attempt).

I do agree that Australia (as well as other countries of the commonwealth) should become fully independent as the time for British colonies is over. However this isn't something that happens overnight and wouldn't even be attempted without a huge public outcry as it's most definitely going to be a hassle and have resistance from the British. I don't see a debate on this issue anytime soon let alone a full separation.

TheRealMoonman

I eat babies
Sep 30, 2014
Seriously? That petition is disgraceful. At least put some effort into it, add points as to why you think Australia should go through the long legal process of becoming independent from the Queen (something Tony would never attempt).

I do agree that Australia (as well as other countries of the commonwealth) should become fully independent as the time for British colonies is over. However this isn't something that happens overnight and wouldn't even be attempted without a huge public outcry as it's most definitely going to be a hassle and have resistance from the British. I don't see a debate on this issue anytime soon let alone a full separation.
We are debating about if Australia should be a republic, not the efforts i put into posting this thread

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
If you actually follow the news you'd know that becoming a republic would not benefit Australia at all, it would actually make things more complicated. Australia is fine the way they are right now - if Australia really wanted to be a republic it would have happened back in 2012.

You have no interference from Britian when it comes to decision making. Also on the 'complete authority' that's not entirely correct, they're part of the commonwealth but they still reside as Australian citizens unlike in the past to which they would be under the rule of the queen completely - they also have their own high court. I think one of the only things the Queen really does is choose/appoint the Governor General.

Becoming a republic would be costly and would take restructuring the monarch for Australia, there's no point. Becoming a republic is like trying to fix something that's not broken at all - futile.

Users who are viewing this thread