[SEARCHING] Looking for someone to teach me the basics of making a CMS [SEARCHING]

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Hey,

Ive been wanting to develop a CMS for quite some months now, I have NO understanding of PHP. I know quite alot of HTML and CSS. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to teach me how to make a CMS. From all the classes etc. I have been to php.net etc. But I really dont know where to start with making a CMS. I would be willing to pay of course. We would have to discuss this over MSN/Skype.

Thanks
Josh

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
First learn some basic PHP and once you have done that, you can look at MVC (Model View Controller) from there on you should be good to go to try developing your own CMS with what you've learned. Now this doesn't just take a week or two, it might take more than 6 - 12 months or more - it depends on how good you are to learn new stuff.

Good luck from here :)

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
First learn some basic PHP and once you have done that, you can look at MVC (Model View Controller) from there on you should be good to go to try developing your own CMS with what you've learned. Now this doesn't just take a week or two, it might take more than 6 - 12 months or more - it depends on how good you are to learn new stuff.

Good luck from here :)

Do you have any good resources where I can learn PHP ? I have no understanding of it at all, Mabye a good book or informative website?

Thanks for the information so far
Josh

Xenous

o shi
Nov 15, 2011
I started learning to code about 3 months ago, and since that time I've been able to construct a cms. But as heaplink has stated it won't take a week or two unless your going to produce something shitty like phoenix php. Also you should learn php rather than pay someone to do it as they may leave nasty exploits :)

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
I started learning to code about 3 months ago, and since that time I've been able to construct a cms. But as heaplink has stated it won't take a week or two unless your going to produce something shitty like phoenix php. Also you should learn php rather than pay someone to do it as they may leave nasty exploits :)

I'm not paying someone to make the actual CMS, but now I'm more convinced I should learn myself. Xenous, do you have any good resources? Also, I'm not fully sure on what files are actually needed to construct the CMS, like all the classes etc.

Xenous

o shi
Nov 15, 2011
Is nice if you wish to learn basics although they go a bit weird after that, then make your way to php.net

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
Just quickly looking a it, that only gives php scripts, not actually teaches me what an array or function is.

Thanks
Josh
Well it does. PHP.net mainly teaches by showing you a script, then explaining what each part of it does. I'll provide you with a simple example.

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Is nice if you wish to learn basics although they go a bit weird after that, then make your way to php.net

Thank you, that looks quite good. It's nice with video tutorials too. Does anyone else have any better resources?

Thanks
Josh

Archaos

Flying High.
Oct 4, 2011
Thenewboston's Youtube videos were created by the phpacademy who also feature on Youtube, check them out if you want to learn some more also.

P.S: Someone move the thread to Coder's Paradise.

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Well it does. PHP.net mainly teaches by showing you a script, then explaining what each part of it does. I'll provide you with a simple example.

Lol. Yeh, now I understand, although so far I have nothing, I'd rather start out with a noob site, and work my way up. Mabye am informative book of some sort might help? Hmm

Thanks
Josh

Thenewboston's Youtube videos were created by the phpacademy who also feature on Youtube, check them out if you want to learn some more also.

P.S: Someone move the thread to Coder's Paradise.

I checked phpacademy out previously. They seemed quite good. Thanks

Archaos

Flying High.
Oct 4, 2011
This is what I have ordered, it's quite informative and easy to understand:

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Threads merged, please refrain from double posting. Please edit your previous content if you wish to add more additional detail.
I would go with phpacademy i learned my basics from there After that proceed to jreamdesign he codes advanced php.

Thanks, it's easier to follow video tutorials, rather nan written ones. I'll be sure to use it

This is what I have ordered, it's quite informative and easy to understand:

Do you think I should order this too?

Archaos

Flying High.
Oct 4, 2011
It's really up to you, personally I would recommend this book but I'm not sure what others think. I'd have a go with some other sources then you can get the book at a later date to revert to if you need a little help.

EDIT: I prefer reading off a piece of paper than to a computer screen, it's really personal preference.

Xenous

o shi
Nov 15, 2011
Reading and editing peoples codes is also another great way to learn although it can lead to bad habbits with coding.

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Threads merged, please refrain from double posting. Please edit your previous content if you wish to add more additional detail.
It's really up to you, personally I would recommend this book but I'm not sure what others think. I'd have a go with some other sources then you can get the book at a later date to revert to if you need a little help.

EDIT: I prefer reading off a piece of paper than to a computer screen, it's really personal preference.

I'll probably order it as it is for dummies. Which I clearly am. I'd rather read a book rather than read something online, it makes my eyes go funny when reading off a computer screen

Reading and editing peoples codes is also another great way to learn although it can lead to bad habbits with coding.
In all honesty, I'd rather learn from the ground up, if I do this, I KNOW for a fact I'll end up keep doing it

Livar

Now 35% cooler!
Oct 15, 2010
I sent you a base to work on, base your CMS work on that. Take a look at a Procedural CMS before you do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread