Responsive Websites

RiskyRyan

Feb 17, 2015
Recently I've been working on a project of mine which is a portfolio system where users can download/edit portfolio templates and use them for their own personal usage of course just a small personal project for educational purposes. However during this product when the design was completed and all my back-end codes/scripts were done I thought about making my site responsive so I have a few questions;

• How should I lay my media re-sizes out? I mean the iPad for an example or any tablet which is a fairly big screen, should I make it re-size to a mobile friendly version or let it use the desktop version?
  • Any tips on how to make my responsive website less buggy and more suitable for each platform
  • If I could make a logo re-size for a tablet and a phone how do I go about doing that? So I would have a tablet version then a mobile friendly interface version?
I'm fairly new to responsive designs and have always worked on making the site content roughly the right size and hoping it folds in correctly but obviously this isn't cross-browser compatible!

Much appreciated.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Just incrementally resize your browser from large to small and look for things that break when you resize it, and fix it. You shouldn't be specifically fixing it for specific resolutions/devices.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
What width would you say I should start with? I don't want an iPhone 5 screen running a desktop version?
I don't understand what you mean by a "desktop version"? Generally you should start out with a template created on a desktop, and once you're done, slowly re-size and add media queries so that it looks best at all resolutions. For example, generally you have a decent sized navigation at the top of your page with a bunch of links; at some point (when the width is smaller than x) you have to collapse it, and stack the links (by changing the CSS with media queries).

RiskyRyan

Feb 17, 2015
I don't understand what you mean by a "desktop version"? Generally you should start out with a template created on a desktop, and once you're done, slowly re-size and add media queries so that it looks best at all resolutions. For example, generally you have a decent sized navigation at the top of your page with a bunch of links; at some point (when the width is smaller than x) you have to collapse it, and stack the links (by changing the CSS with media queries).
Do you have any work old versions to do with responsive sites I can tamper with and get hands on?

@JohnJThePiperMan

Users who are viewing this thread