[Question] How to transfer big files from pc to VPS faster

TinyBuilder

Bike ✔
Mar 19, 2012
Hello, I want to transfer my r63 SWF's from my laptop to my VPS which have my own catalogue. I don't want to wait like 1 hours and I also cannot copy files from pc and paste it in VPS. Is there any way to transfer my SWF's?

Thanks,
Tiny

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
If you use RDC you can copy the files. And maybe use something like dropbox, or install a FTP protocol on your VPS so you can upload/download it trough FileZilla for example.

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
CTRL C + V most definitely should work, if it doesn't im pretty sure there's a setting regarding that when configuring your Server Dets into RDC.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
If you are using RDC, then you cannot do drag & drop. Plus, using any method will have you waiting the same time.

If you are going to use TeamViewer to your PC and VPS, then use the File Transfer/Drag-and-drop feature.. you are going to spend like 1 hour and above.
If you are going to upload it somewhere (e.g. Dropbox, Mediafire, 4shared, Google Drive etc.) then it will still take you the same time (which is like 1 hour and above).
If you are going to use FTP then same time length.

Using upload-then-download will take you more time, while a direct File Transfer may take time but does the whole thing for you.

TinyBuilder

Bike ✔
Mar 19, 2012
Okay guys, thanks. 
If you use RDC you can copy the files. And maybe use something like dropbox, or install a FTP protocol on your VPS so you can upload/download it trough FileZilla for example.

Hey I tried using FireZilla but I get this error:

GP8mG.png

Help please?

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Okay guys, thanks. 

Hey I tried using FireZilla but I get this error:

GP8mG.png

Help please?
If you want to upload/download files from your VPS (if you have setted up the FTP on your VPS already) you need to download:
On your VPS, set-up the FTP first if you havent done that already:

TinyBuilder

Bike ✔
Mar 19, 2012
If you want to upload/download files from your VPS (if you have setted up the FTP on your VPS already) you need to download:

How long will it take if I use FireZilla? 

Btw I want to transfer from PC to VPS. And not VPS to PC..

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
If you are using RDC, then you cannot do drag & drop.

It might not work now or on windows but on my mac I always used to drag and drop and it worked fine.

Whatever way you do it, ftp, upload, teamviewer it ruffly takes the same amount of time. Teamviewer is normally really slow and so is FTP, just upload to mediafire two separate downloads of something.

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
I would reccommend you split up the files. And create multiple .rar/.zip
Then you will have multiple small files with quicker upload/download speeds rather than waiting for a huge single file to upload/download

Jump

You are beautiful beyond comprehension
Feb 16, 2011
Even though compressing it does make the file smaller it does not help an incredible all deal, many people blame their download speed on their router, more than likely the router is fine.. it's the computer, most standard issue hardrives can only transfer data at 1mb/s meaning the download speed can not exceed that.

but yes, either use a SSD Hardrive if you have one or compress the files with WinRAR and upload it to an online web host.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
I would reccommend you split up the files. And create multiple .rar/.zip
Then you will have multiple small files with quicker upload/download speeds rather than waiting for a huge single file to upload/download

That is exactly what you should do.

Split them up into multiple .zip files, and then use Dropbox to transfer them over.

You should try to make the .zip as small as you can (I'd suggest < 500MB)

Users who are viewing this thread