Protect IP - End the Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo$h

Posting Freak
Jul 7, 2010
There is currently a bill brewing in US Congress right now that allows the government to blacklist certain sites that they deem as copyright infringement. I plea to end it, and so does DemandProgress.org

We knew that members of Congress and their business allies were gearing up to pass a revised Internet Blacklist Bill -- which more than 325,000 Demand Progress members helped block last winter -- but we never expected it to be this atrocious. Last year's bill has been renamed the "PROTECT IP" Act and it is far worse than its predecessor. A summary of it is posted below.

Senators Leahy and Hatch pretended to weigh free speech concerns as they revised the bill. Instead, the new legislation would institute a China-like censorship regime in the United States, whereby the Department of Justice could force search engines, browsers, and service providers to block users' access to websites, and scrub the American Internet clean of any trace of their existence.

Furthermore, it wouldn't just be the Attorney General who could add sites to the blacklist, but the new bill would allow any copyright holder to get sites blacklisted -- sure to result in an explosion of dubious and confused orders.
Source -

Discuss:

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I feel that this is a horrible idea. The internet is the only place that is truly open and free at the moment, and such a bill is just a disgrace to the Internet, and all the possibilities that it holds. But then again, what do you expect; politicians are out of touch with the world.

Bazinga

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2010
Obviously a lot of people don't like this because Anon Ops have launched a campaign against it.

I'm agreed with Rasta, the internet is the place where people a free to express whatever opinions they want.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
This is called dictating the flow of things. They want us to think we are free but we are not. We are arrested for speaking out against their ideology, we are labelled a terrorist if we do not publicly agree to their values and we scrutinised if we try and mention their wrongs. The only media in the world that is truly free is the internet and if that's gone, freedom of speech goes too.

Mustache

Jun 1, 2011
This is called dictating the flow of things. They want us to think we are free but we are not. We are arrested for speaking out against their ideology, we are labelled a terrorist if we do not publicly agree to their values and we scrutinised if we try and mention their wrongs. The only media in the world that is truly free is the internet and if that's gone, freedom of speech goes too.

Adil, i dont know but you posted that on the other thread before though i agree with it.

-Jordan-

Feb 19, 2011
Will never succeed, Proxys and VPN will get more popular, Anonymous will stick their heads in and start hacking Government sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread