Programming languages.

Dicks

Feb 9, 2014
Just google this question and you'll see 900 sites talking about it noob.
Can someone please tell me why you couldn't compare PHP to Python? There's a boatload of discussions and debates comparing these two languages in the real world.
Python is a fully functional programming language, while PHP is mostly limited to web servers and general web programming. Python can be used in a command-line interface, and has a multitude of modules that can be used to do just about anything computer-related.

I think that a more appropriate comparison in this situation would be one of Python's to PHP, and not Python to PHP in general.

Sway

Ruby and Python are married.
Dec 19, 2010
Python is a fully functional programming language, while PHP is mostly limited to web servers and general web programming. Python can be used in a command-line interface, and has a multitude of modules that can be used to do just about anything computer-related.

I think that a more appropriate comparison in this situation would be one of Python's to PHP, and not Python to PHP in general.

Every programming language has a different purpose. PHP can also be used in a command-line interface and just because Python has a more extensive library of modules, it's not fair to call both languages incomparable to each other. Python just happens to be more functional than PHP, but in the same sense, Java is way more object orientated than Python.

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
Every programming language has a different purpose. PHP can also be used in a command-line interface and just because Python has a more extensive library of modules, it's not fair to call both languages incomparable to each other. Python just happens to be more functional than PHP, but in the same sense, Java is way more object orientated than Python.
I personally prefer java, Not because I know it very well but also because its extremely easy to understand, Nevertheless is Python easy to learn? I am debating on it after done w/ Java.

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
Python is easier to learn that Java
I fucking love you. That just raised my confidence to learn Python, I need some help regarding that, Where should I start (I can write Java, C and C++ so I can understand programming ) But where would I start if I wanted to learn Python and all its libraries and What can python do? Please explain <3

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
I fucking love you. That just raised my confidence to learn Python, I need some help regarding that, Where should I start (I can write Java, C and C++ so I can understand programming ) But where would I start if I wanted to learn Python and all its libraries and What can python do? Please explain <3
Python is fantastic easy to learn, and you can learn it straight from the site at - also if you wan't to learn it the hard way is a good choice.

Need to learn other languages the hard way? Head over to

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
It really depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going to do web or similar, Python is a good way. If you want to do games or a like you could stick with Java. It's really what you're most comfortable with. Also since the syntax is very different from each other, that is a factor of your choice. What do you like most? Choose that :)

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
It really depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going to do web or similar, Python is a good way. If you want to do games or a like you could stick with Java. It's really what you're most comfortable with. Also since the syntax is very different from each other, that is a factor of your choice. What do you like most? Choose that :)
That's a really hard question for myself, I've always failed at taking correct decisions facepalm.jpg But, I've learnt most of Java, I need stuff to practice it and few, Cool examples to test my Java skills.

I love web development as well, But I suck at jQuery & Javascript , I am not too sure on how you do web development via Python so don't judge me on that :p

Also there's one more thing, Couldn't you make games on/with python using pygame?

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
When I talk web with Python it is server side, just like PHP, ASP.NET, etc.
I get you man, Thanks alot for the help you've provided within the thread , appreciate it :)

Do you have any ideas about Ruby? and/or Ruby on Rails ( I know thats a framework for Ruby)

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Ruby is similar to Python on the behalf that it is an indention based language. However, it requires a little more knowlegde of Ruby and how it all works. It can do amazing things and has amazing way of making structured applications with easy API.

However, again I recommend you to look at it and take what you find easiest to learn and what you like most. You can't learn too much, only too little.

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
I've always wanted to make Android applications. Don't really know what languages to learn to get to make those because I've always had interest in Android devices and making things for Android so maybe some of you know any solution for that.

& What language would you learn for Apple devices because if you're going to make applications for Android then you may also want to try making them for Apple so that's my basic question and is it hard or is it not hard?
Learn Java.

Ept

Many men wish death upon me.
Jun 16, 2011
I've always wanted to make Android applications. Don't really know what languages to learn to get to make those because I've always had interest in Android devices and making things for Android so maybe some of you know any solution for that.

& What language would you learn for Apple devices because if you're going to make applications for Android then you may also want to try making them for Apple so that's my basic question and is it hard or is it not hard?
You program iOS apps in Objective-C.

AaidenX

Jun 30, 2012
@Nub
For android applications, you gotta learn Java.
For iOS applications, you gotta learn Objective-C but you need Mac OS X to run Objective-C so that's a great pain, is it not?

Users who are viewing this thread