Programming a game in Lua - Is it possible?

DaLightz

See ya'll in the afterlife.
May 19, 2012
As many of you may know, I am alot more expierienced as a web-side scripter. I've started to jump into client side programming but I have minimal expierience. I am wanting to create a simple game with around the same logic as habbo. (Pathfinding, chat, walking, avatars.)

So my main question is, It this possible to do in Lua?

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
As many of you may know, I am alot more expierienced as a web-side scripter. I've started to jump into client side programming but I have minimal expierience. I am wanting to create a simple game with around the same logic as habbo. (Pathfinding, chat, walking, avatars.)

So my main question is, It this possible to do in Lua?
Hell yeah man!
I made games completely on LUA but they had no GUI so it looked like Dwarfe fortress.

Go for it, always try and challenge what other people say man.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
I made games completely on LUA but they had no GUI so it looked like Dwarfe fortress.
Show?

@OP: It depends on how you intend on using Lua. If you intend to use it more for scripting with the core engine written in another language like C++, then it's a great choice because of how lightweight and dynamically fast it is. It's great for multi-threaded programming since it supports coroutines.

If you plan on making the game solely in Lua, then good luck. I would much rather use something like Python for that. The lack of libraries for Lua is probably the main reason you do not see games written solely in that language.

DaLightz

See ya'll in the afterlife.
May 19, 2012
Show?

@OP: It depends on how you intend on using Lua. If you intend to use it more for scripting with the core engine written in another language like C++, then it's a great choice because of how lightweight and dynamically fast it is. It's great for multi-threaded programming since it supports coroutines.

If you plan on making the game solely in Lua, then good luck. I would much rather use something like Python for that. The lack of libraries for Lua is probably the main reason you do not see games written solely in that language.
Hell yeah man!

Go for it, always try and challenge what other people say man.
Thanks for the info guys C;

Users who are viewing this thread