[PHP Help] Checking for a username in the database

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Hey there developers,

I'm creating a referal system for my CMS (Uber) and i'm wanting it to throw an error if the value inputted in a text box isn't a username in the database, heres my code:

Code:
$checkRef = (mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT `username` FROM `users` WHERE `username` = '".$referal."'"), 0));

if($checkRef < '1') {
echo 'Error';
}
But I have 2 problems, this happens:
Tuf5R.png

That happens when a user goes onto the page, I need it to happen after the submit.
Also, I don't want the form to submit if the $checkRef is 0. How do I do this?

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
PHP:
$checkRef = mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `username` = '".$referal."'"));

if($checkRef > 0) {
die('Error');
}

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
PHP:
$checkRef = mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `username` = '".$referal."'"));

if($checkRef > 0) {
die('Error');
}

Code doesn't seem to work. It doesn't say anything at the top now, but when I hit 'Create Account' even with a random Referal such as 'HERHJREIEWUREE248ERMDFS' which doesn't exist in the DB, it still submits and makes the account

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
PHP:
<?php
$referal = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes(trim(htmlspecialchars($_GET['referal']))));

if($checkRef < 0) {
die('Error');
}
?>

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
PHP:
<?php
$referal = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes(trim(htmlspecialchars($_GET['referal']))));

if($checkRef > 0) {
die('Error');
}
?>

Still does the same thing :l

Code:
<?php

if($checkRef > 0) {
die('Error');
}
?>

Thats defined at the top of my file

tyr0ne

Mar 29, 2012
I just tried on my own site, so the table name and column names are not the same, but it works fine for me.

Of course re-add your security functions things for the value of the variable $referal, but other than that when it doesnt find a game it writes "0lol don't know" because there's 0 rows found, and when it finds it, it writes "1game name"
PHP:
<?php
if( $_GET["referal"] ) {
    $referal = $_GET["referal"];
    $checkRef = mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM games WHERE title = '".$referal."'"));

echo $checkRef;
    if($checkRef == 0) {
        echo "lol don't work";
    } else {
        echo $referal;
    }
}
?>

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
I just tried on my own site, so the table name and column names are not the same, but it works fine for me.

Of course re-add your security functions things for the value of the variable $referal, but other than that when it doesnt find a game it writes "0lol don't know" because there's 0 rows found, and when it finds it, it writes "1game name"
PHP:
<?php
if( $_GET["referal"] ) {
    $referal = $_GET["referal"];
    $checkRef = mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM games WHERE title = '".$referal."'"));

echo $checkRef;
    if($checkRef == 0) {
        echo "lol don't work";
    } else {
        echo $referal;
    }
}
?>

Still makes the account even though the username dont exist in the db ;L

Predict

Jun 27, 2011
How could you even have PHP inside the template?!
Why you no use the template class to its full potential and you should consider on stop creating more exploits for yourself.

When coding in PHP, you should think about how you're going to do it first, well that's how I plan before I code. ;p

So, we need a mysql query selecting the person who referred the user, however we don't want to refer that user if the user doesn't exist.

Code:
$query1 = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users WHERE username = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['user']) . "' LIMIT 1");

Now, we want to check if the user exists or not and if it does, we'll proceed.

Code:
if (mysql_num_rows($query1) > 0)
{
echo 'Woo?';
}
else
{
echo 'User doesn\'t exist.'
}

Finished product

Code:
<?php
if (isset($_GET['user']))
{
$query1 = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users WHERE username = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['user']) . "' LIMIT 1");

{
echo 'Woo?';
}
else
{
echo 'User doesn\'t exist.';
}
}
?>

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
How could you even have PHP inside the template?!
Why you no use the template class to its full potential and you should consider on stop creating more exploits for yourself.

When coding in PHP, you should think about how you're going to do it first, well that's how I plan before I code. ;p

So, we need a mysql query selecting the person who referred the user, however we don't want to refer that user if the user doesn't exist.

Code:

Now, we want to check if the user exists or not and if it does, we'll proceed.

Code:
{
echo 'Woo?';
}
else
{
}

Finished product

Code:
<?php
if (isset($_GET['user']))
{

{
echo 'Woo?';
}
else
{
}
}
?>

That code throws a PHP error, the page won't even load, and surely it must be easier to do it than that. Also, $_GET['user'] is an undefined var so I changed it to $_GET['referal']. Still shows PHP error

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012

Go to:
Replace:
echo 'User doesn\'t exist.';

Code works, but if I attempt to put the referal in the text box eg. 'asjerjfkgsle' then the form still submits:-
PHP:
<?php
$referal = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes(trim(htmlspecialchars($_GET['r']))));

if (isset($_GET['r']))
{
$query1 = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users WHERE username = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['r']) . "' LIMIT 1");

if (mysql_num_rows($query1) < 1)
{
echo ('User doesnt exist.');
}
}

?>

Users who are viewing this thread