Phoneblock idea

Annalisa

May 14, 2013
So I saw this on Tumblr and thought I'd share it with you guys. I reckon it's a pretty cool concept.

Ari

Sep 29, 2010
Its quite a good idea, gives people the ability to customize their phone and it also helps the enviroment at the same time ;o

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Website takes me to the appache HTTP server!

I doubt this will be the next big thing. There's not as much money in it. Not to mention you'd have to create multiple size blocks to fit everyones phone

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
You guys do know that if possible, which I don't believe it is [Don't quote me though], it'd be a lot more expensive....

EDIT:
Screen%20Shot%202013-09-10%20at%207.30.14%20PM.png

Annalisa

May 14, 2013
You guys do know that if possible, which I don't believe it is [Don't quote me though], it'd be a lot more expensive....

EDIT:
I don't think it'd be more expensive in the long run though, because if you just replace the parts you need it'd be cheaper than buying a brand new phone.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011

EDIT:
And how credible is Youtube? That's what I thought. Do you have any idea how a motherboard works? this is the same idea, you have a motherboard, add a processor, ram, PSU etc., but instead of big, it's small. And a lot less pins. The cpu would probably need a buttload of pins but that's entirely doable. Also, I quoted you.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
And how credible is Youtube? That's what I thought. Do you have any idea how a motherboard works?

Barely.
Some posts about it..

Top comments:
This really is an almost impossible feat. In order to make each piece modular, there would be a lot of repetitive parts per block. Usually when you have a motherboard, there is a main voltage supply. This line is then taken by individual voltage regulators and transformed to the voltage need for each chip. If the main line is 12V and you need 1V for the processor, you use a 1V regulator to get you the right current rating. If multiple chips require 1V, you use a regulator that can handle the current draw of all components.

With phone blocks, every single block that requires 1V will need its own regulator. This will mean that each block has to be much bigger than it has to be and use much more power than it normally would. Replicate this for each individual block and you can see how inefficient this is. The phone would be gigantic.

This is just one reason there are many more. while it is not impossible, the phone would be a behemoth and would would not last rhough generations of hardware.

Source: Hardware Design Engineer

If anyone has a specific question about hardware design, I would love to provide insight if I can.

EDIT: some grammar stuff.

EDIT2: Think about in a PC sense. The "motherboard" would have to support Intel and AMD processors. It would have to support future generations of the processors as well. Now Intel can't keep its sockets the same between single generations...Imagine now if it has to support Intel, ARM, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung, Motorola, and other processor manufacturers...Its just not practical. There would have to be so many extra hardware to support all of them.

@Macemore Maybe YouTube isn't that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread