Old laptop - weird issues

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Hello,

I have an old Dell Studio here which currently has Windows 7 installed on it. No one uses it and it was just lying around so I decided to try and install Ubuntu on it. How ever when turning on the laptop and booting it into Windows 7 I found that it just turns off randomly around the log in screen. I thought it wouldn't really matter so I put Ubuntu on a flash drive, went into the BIOS boot menu and selected it. I got into the Ubuntu screen and the laptop turns off as well. I thought it could possibly be the hard-drive but I took it out and the same issue when trying to launch Ubuntu.

It can't be overheating since it's cool and I cleared all the dust out of it with compressed air.

Anyone know why it could be doing this?

Thanks in advance, it'd be pretty cool if I could get this thing running with Ubuntu

Update:
So I figured it could be an issue with the hard-drive. Since I could go into BIOS but not into windows. I took the hard drive completely out and launched it. Still the same issue. I put the hard-drive back in and scanned it, I forgot what the process was called. Now the laptop stayed on a lot longer. I thought it was fixed, so I went ahead and installed Ubuntu. I got into the progress nearly till completion when the fucking thing shut off again.

Now Windows 7 is gone and there is a fucked version of Ubuntu on it. When I try start it now I get in about 10 seconds on the Ubuntu load screen and than it turns off.

I am close to giving up and am not sure what to do. I also tried running a memtest and it just turns off. This was after installing Ubuntu since it gave me an option at the start.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
With this laptop the fan is in the top right. All of it went out of the actual vent. 
Update:
I can now actually start the laptop into Ubuntu some times. I've just had it on for about 10 minutes straight in Ubuntu and was able to browse the internet, change the desktop background etc etc. It did crash again though but at least Ubuntu managed to install successfully.

Maybe a piece of hardware causes the crash when it is accessed? 
I have fixed the issue, the screws securing the CPU chip were not screwed down properly.

Users who are viewing this thread