Multiple Servers for one Habbo Retro

LinuxUser

Nov 30, 2021
Hey Devbest,

I heard alot of splitting the habbo retro into multiple servers for security reasons.
So for example: CMS & DB = 1 Server, Emu = 1 Server

Now i have three questions:
- Is there a performance reason too ? Is the client faster, if i put the emulator on a own root server and the cms on a Windows vServer ?

- And is it possible to run the emulator (which is a .exe file) on a linux root server?

- And which is the best splitting of a Habbo retro ? CMS/DB/EMU (how many servers & what on which servers?)

Lurkers

Nov 3, 2020
Hi, I believe this will not have any performance difference, it is much faster for your emulator and your CMS to connect to the local database than external.

It's possible, you can use Mono to run .exe files, but now with .NET Core it is no longer necessary to use Mono.

Feb 27, 2013
- Is there a performance reason too ? Is the client faster, if i put the emulator on a own root server and the cms on a Windows vServer ?
It seems like it'd be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Previously I've heard of retros caching their SWF files using nginx (linux web server) for faster load times as opposed to IIS (windows web server). This is what Boon does (see the screenshot), but for your standard hotel I don't think people typically complain about .swf loading times unless the swfs are stolen/corrupted. In that case this won't help with load times.

You must be registered for see images attach

- And is it possible to run the emulator (which is a .exe file) on a linux root server?
Yes you can run an executable file on Linux as long as it has executable permissions. I believe that Linux would offer better performance as it doesn't have as intensive of an operating system running in the background. With that being said, this may cause more headaches than it's worth if you don't know Linux. I'd recommend learning Linux first before using it for a practical application. I've gotten away with hosting servers on 2GB - 4GB of RAM, but after a certain number of users the hotel lag becomes unbearable.

- And which is the best splitting of a Habbo retro ? CMS/DB/EMU (how many servers & what on which servers?)
What you're talking about is called . I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself and I wouldn't worry about solving these problems until you run into them. One server with one operating system should be enough to get you started and you can go from there.

Edit: The current popular server choices are Arcturus or PlusEMU. I am not sure of other options on the market aside from V14 - V20 Java Emulators so you may want to do some research into this.

Mrmoseby

Jul 1, 2016
It seems like it'd be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Previously I've heard of retros caching their SWF files using nginx (linux web server) for faster load times as opposed to IIS (windows web server). This is what Boon does (see the screenshot), but for your standard hotel I don't think people typically complain about .swf loading times unless the swfs are stolen/corrupted. In that case this won't help with load times.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes you can run an executable file on Linux as long as it has executable permissions. I believe that Linux would offer better performance as it doesn't have as intensive of an operating system running in the background. With that being said, this may cause more headaches than it's worth if you don't know Linux. I'd recommend learning Linux first before using it for a practical application. I've gotten away with hosting servers on 2GB - 4GB of RAM, but after a certain number of users the hotel lag becomes unbearable.

What you're talking about is called . I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself and I wouldn't worry about solving these problems until you run into them. One server with one operating system should be enough to get you started and you can go from there.

Edit: The current popular server choices are Arcturus or PlusEMU. I am not sure of other options on the market aside from V14 - V20 Java Emulators so you may want to do some research into this.
nginx outperforms iis

Users who are viewing this thread