Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 7 Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
161151-ballmer_windows_phones.jpg

At a media event today, Microsoft officially unveiled its Windows Phone 7 operating system, along with nine new handsets from a variety of manufacturers that will run the new operating system. Windows Phone 7 saw its first introduction back in February.
"We have a beautiful lineup in this first wave of Windows Phone 7 handsets," said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer at Microsoft. "Microsoft and its partners are delivering a different kind of mobile phone and experience - one that makes everyday tasks faster by getting more done in fewer steps and providing timely information in a 'glance and go' format."

One of Microsoft's launch carrier partners in the U.S. is AT&T, which has announced three new Windows Phone 7 devices: the HTC Surround, the LG Quantum, and the Samsung Focus. The Focus is set to launch on November 8th, with the other two handsets following suit by the holidays. T-Mobile is planning to launch the HTC HD7 in mid-November, with the Dell Venue Pro also set to ship by the holidays. Verizon and Sprint will begin offering Windows Phone 7 devices in 2011.

Centered around "hubs" that allow users to quickly see a variety of pieces of information related to such topics as People, Music, Photos, and Office, Windows Phone 7 will also accommodate third-party apps such as Twitter, eBay and a library of gaming titles from EA, in addition to apps from smaller developers facilitated by Microsoft's developer program for the platform. In a departure from the icon-focused user interface used by Apple and others, Microsoft has chosen to utilize a flowing interface of flexible "tiles" that can each represent various pieces of information depending on the type of data required to be presented.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Eh, I saw it today when posted a video on it. To be honest, I wasn't impressed, and I think that the only way Microsoft will have success is if they have their mobile operating system based around applications like iOS4 and Anroid.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
They do have apps if that's what you mean(I think). Here's an article posted on gizmodo just about the cool apps that have been released today. I actually hope Microsoft succeeds(weird) the phone looks really interesting, I hope I have a chance to try it out in the future.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
They do have apps if that's what you mean(I think). Here's an article posted on gizmodo just about the cool apps that have been released today. I actually hope Microsoft succeeds(weird) the phone looks really interesting, I hope I have a chance to try it out in the future.

Yes, but in the way that the applications are featured, it doesn't feel like they're the focal point of the operating system. IMO, it feels more traditional in the way that it is set up, as the things that are already on the phone are made out to be more important than what you can add onto it. To be honest, it looks no different than the Kin that they advertised vigorously, and it failed - they had to pull it off the market.

johnny893

Jun 18, 2011
It's really going to suck when Nokia eventually switches over to Windows Phone 7. I really do like Symbian.

Muffmuncher

Jan 11, 2012
In fact Microsoft first started the trend, probably cause of advertising? But I had fun times playing around with the Dell Axim X5 I had when I was primary, the OS was, Pocket PC 2003 SE? Yea, had only 32 MB RAM. Once, I tried flashing a Gameboy Colour, yes Colour, Pokemon Red game on it, guess what? I had to restart my device every 20 minutes just to play the game, and I did save in between :p Aha, then few years later before Android spreaded like a wildfire, I got my Samsung SGH i780, a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, and aha, they changed the name the name. Then it all came to WP7, when they had the whole shit recoded again, apps from older version were not compatible with the new OS. Wow, I sure did have some fun time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread