Martin Luther King: Good or Bad?

Good or Bad?

• Total voters

Cheetos

Jun 28, 2012
So, My history teacher said to me today that Martin Luther King was a bad man due to having hookers in his apartments and being abusive to his wife yet I thought he was a good man so now I cannot really decide but I'm more persuaded to him being a good man still. What are your views?

zMagenta

Posting Freak
Jul 15, 2011
There's two sides to this, like there is every debate.

Firstly, Martin (what I shall call him) had a public profile and a private profile. In the public eye (without media), you'd think he was a decent and honest man, looking out for people etc. But then in his private profile, he did have hookers, and so on.. But then almost everyone who has fame, does something like that. But being abusive to his wife is stupid, that was exposed and people still respect him.

He's not a bad person, not one at all. The work he did was outstanding, just his private life is a bit, erm, in-decent.

Expiry

Anarchist
Apr 25, 2013
So, My history teacher said to me today that Martin Luther King was a bad man due to having hookers in his apartments and being abusive to his wife yet I thought he was a good man so now I cannot really decide but I'm more persuaded to him being a good man still. What are your views?

He didn't have hookers, and he never abused his wife physically. He had affairs with other women, which is wrong, however, cheating doesn't make you a shit person overall. He fought for what was right, and besides, his wife knew about it I think. The FBI were trying to discredit because Hoover believed he was a communist.

DrPepper

I drink myself on a regular basis get over it
Jul 14, 2012
I know this is old, but I cannot believe this is even a question.... It does not matter what the mans personal life was like. Also you can have two different opinions about him, one on his personal life and one on his life as a civil rights activist. As I was saying though it does not even matter what his personal was life, however at the same time I find it hard to believe that he was actually abusive and unfaithful. Before you believe something someone tells you do your own research and see if they just made it up. It sounds to me that either your teacher is telling you all rumors that were brought out a while ago to discredit Mr. King, or she made it up so as to ruin him as an idol to you and your classmates for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread