Learning how to code

Brown

idk
Feb 15, 2013
I've been trying to learn coding for quite a while now but I've always seem to rage quit it, I've tried things such as youtube tutorials but I still haven't got the hang of it, can anyone suggest anything? (Note that I'm more interested in web development coding).

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
Start off with the basics, HTML and CSS.

When learning HTML just look up a few quick tuts to learn the basics. (Its really not hard to pick up at all, only took me a day!)
When learning CSS, people generally learnt from watching tuts but im the guy that likes to dig straight in and get started so i just tought myself using the inspect element tool, and eventually i picked it up nicely.
When learning PHP it really depends on how you prefer to learn, whether you like to read up on it and take time or dig straight into it. Sadly PHP isn't one of those languages that you can just learn everything yourself by looking at another websites code. I'd generally go for YouTube tuts because that way the teacher is actually speaking to his/her students and you can start to understand things from their perspective.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
I agree with Queef. The thing is with PHP, it is a server side language so will be interpreted before the page loads and therefore none of the code will appear in the View Source document.

When watching videos though don't just assume that what the teacher has said is correct, as Queef said: it's "from their perspective." Google the problem and find other ways of doing it and see what other people are doing then use the method that works best for you and/or is the more logical way of solving the problem.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Atm he needs to begin something with basic, cos he wont learn concepts directly on python, its hard. and hes mainly focused on web deveelopment
What?
Python is pretty straightforward, and is very much usable on the web. Some of Google's websites are powered by Python backends.

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
What?
Python is pretty straightforward, and is very much usable on the web. Some of Google's websites are powered by Python backends.
I know, well it was easy for me because i have learned C before python, and it might be easier for you as well but its really upto him

Genaga

Mar 12, 2015
To be honest HTML and CSS aren't real programming languages to learn in my opinion, they don't really use logic or anything tasking, its just a markup language to sexify text and images. Whilst still important it won't do much for you.

If you're interesting in webdev, I do reccomend PHP, but I high consider you try something like VB or C# .NET. It has a great IDE that will help hold your hand when making mistakes especially with syntax and stuff and will help understand programming logic and how to debug better, whereas bare PHP will just often run anyway in very strange ways and can be hard to work out why. You could then go on to ASP .NET and use the same languages to make websites, or take what you've learned and go to PHP, often similar ways of doing stuff, just processed a bit differently.

As for actual learning thats up to you, I'm personally not a massive fan of YouTube tutorials but some people swear by them. I tend to just pick a project I want to make(usually a fairly big impossible one) and start from there. Break down the different parts of it and do it piece by piece, ask on forums, read tutorials on website and sometimes view other sources. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help.

Just my 2 cents.

bgr

May 17, 2016
You mentioned that you're preference is web development, I'm still learning web development - but here's the order I've been going in:

• HTML
  • CSS
  • JavaScript
  • JQuery
  • PHP

Keep in mind, you don't need to be fluent in one language to move onto the next, just good enough to do everything you want. Becoming fluent will be apparent with time and multiple Google searches.

Users who are viewing this thread