Learning a New Coding Language

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Hey,

I am currently looking to learn a new coding language, but can't decide what I should learn. I know HTML, some PHP and some CSS currently. I was thinking about expanding on PHP, or maybe learning Java, and with Java, is JavaScript different from Java itself? I also considered learning C#, but I am not sure. I also considered many other languages. I will post them in a list below.

Code:
Options:

Expand PHP
    Learn Java/Javascript
    Learn C#
    Expand HTML/CSS
    Learn HTML 5
    Learn Python
    Learn Ruby

Also, if I were to self teach myself or learn from other products already made, could you please tell me which products to use? By products I mean like CMS and stuff. Also, please refrain from Habbo related stuff, as my dad likes to know what I am learning and wants to see what I am learning it from and he doesn't like Habbo. But I will still take suggestions for Habbo stuff. Also, I want to make my own program or mini framework depending on the language, so tell me a good language from that perspective.

Thanks Guys!
Fallen

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Learn a concurrent language like Go or Erlang. Functional languages also are very helpful (Haskell or Lisp), and a language like Java/C# would always be helpful.

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Learn a concurrent language like Go or Erlang. Functional languages also are very helpful (Haskell or Lisp), and a language like Java/C# would always be helpful.
Why a concurrent and functional language?
Good Luck,
But by my experience i regret not learning C# earlier xD
I find it pretty fun at some stages
Thanks, okay cool, I'll probably look at C# as both of you said it, and it seems to be a big thing today.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Imo, you should extend your PHP knowledge first. Otherwise you started learning a coding language (which is used a lot), and stop in the middle of it.

And I personally dislike Ruby, the code is messy as fuck. I know people are going to say "its better than PHP", maybe it is, but it still is messy.

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
Expand your PHP, because I've noticed that some languages are similar to PHP, like C#. Although C# is different than PHP, you can relate certain things to them both.

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Well you could learn OOP MySQLi..
Like I am atm. But Expand your php or learn C#
I might just go with expanding PHP and then learning C# along side.
Python ;-)
Haha, I think I'll just stick with PHP and C# for now :)
Python is a don coding language, jQuery too.
Yeah don't know what that is. (Don Coding)
Imo, you should extend your PHP knowledge first. Otherwise you started learning a coding language (which is used a lot), and stop in the middle of it.

And I personally dislike Ruby, the code is messy as fuck. I know people are going to say "its better than PHP", maybe it is, but it still is messy.
Okay, and I've never looked at Ruby code, but I've heard it's good and blah blah so I just put it out there.
Expand your PHP, because I've noticed that some languages are similar to PHP, like C#. Although C# is different than PHP, you can relate certain things to them both.
Okay.

Thanks for everyone who gave their opinion, I think I am going to do PHP and C#, as they seem to be the big two that most everyone said.

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
Quite frankly, the question is:
Why do you want to code? Do you have an idea? or want to try something?
What you want to code is the language you need to learn.

If you want to build a website, your not going to learn C++ or Java are you?
You will need to know HTML/CSS at the very minimum.
PHP is only required if you want to do things that cannot be done via HTML.
You can then expand and learn look into javascript etc...

If you are wanting to code a game, you will need to decide if its browser or client based.
Browser based will require - HTML/CSS/PHP/Jquery and then you will need to learn the language for the server
Client based will require - HTML/CSS (for the website where they can download the client etc...) and then you will need the server itself.

What you want to learn will infact depend what you want to do with the selected language

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Quite frankly, the question is:
Why do you want to code? Do you have an idea? or want to try something?
What you want to code is the language you need to learn.

If you want to build a website, your not going to learn C++ or Java are you?
You will need to know HTML/CSS at the very minimum.
PHP is only required if you want to do things that cannot be done via HTML.
You can then expand and learn look into javascript etc...

If you are wanting to code a game, you will need to decide if its browser or client based.
Browser based will require - HTML/CSS/PHP/Jquery and then you will need to learn the language for the server
Client based will require - HTML/CSS (for the website where they can download the client etc...) and then you will need the server itself.

What you want to learn will infact depend what you want to do with the selected language
Oh wow, that makes so much more sense. Thanks Kaz! I was thinking of continuing any projects that have been left in the dust, and which are worthy to finish. (Habbo and NonHabbo, as I got my VPS back)

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Why a concurrent and functional language?

Thanks, okay cool, I'll probably look at C# as both of you said it, and it seems to be a big thing today.
Concurrent languages bring you unrivaled levels of scalability (concurrency in general does, but languages suited to it are better to learn). Functional languages are succinct, and offer you quite clean code (there's also a lot of other benefits too).

tyr0ne

Mar 29, 2012
Well you could learn OOP MySQLi..
Like I am atm. But Expand your php or learn C#
"OOP Mysqli" is not a coding language. PHP is.

Python is a good base, you could look into ruby, continue PHP, java and javascript are two totally different things.. don't start by learning javascript, it's useless.

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Concurrent languages bring you unrivaled levels of scalability (concurrency in general does, but languages suited to it are better to learn). Functional languages are succinct, and offer you quite clean code (there's also a lot of other benefits too).
Oh okay, makes more sense now. Thanks!
"OOP Mysqli" is not a coding language. PHP is.

Python is a good base, you could look into ruby, continue PHP, java and javascript are two totally different things.. don't start by learning javascript, it's useless.
Thanks, I'll look into it, and oh okay, thank god I didn't start javascript before java. :)

tyr0ne

Mar 29, 2012
How the hell is Javascript useless?
What are you on?
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not saying javascript is useless, I'm saying that it's useless to bother learning it as a first language. It would probably be #1 on my list of languages not to learn as a beginner programmer.

Refer to this SO post which resume my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread