Laptop Suggestions for Computer Science?

Berk

berkibap#4233
Developer
Oct 17, 2015
Sup,
I'm gonna study computer science next year, and I want to save up a lil' money so I can buy a new laptop.
I wanna save up cause turkish eco, lol

My budget is up to $5K, nothing more please.

I want it for computer science, and I assume it should have a strong battery. Do yous have any suggestion/experience?

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
5k USD?
MBP 13 (MBP 16 with the new M1 chip will be out next year)
RTX 3000 series laptops are shipping next year too

The best of Windows (imo) is either a high end thinkpad or a high end xps 13/15

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
for 5k i'd just get a macbook pro, i've never had a good experience with a windows laptop ngl

i've only used a dell and a macbook pro before tho, but if it was me buying, i'd get a macbook as i think it'd be a safer bet for a good laptop

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
By study, do you mean go to university? If so, if I were you'd I'd be eyeing the new MacBook Air, with up to 16 hours of battery. It also has no fan, which is cool. Downsides would be the current limit of 16GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics. But I think it's a solid choice if those aren't an issue for you. I guess it also depends what you plan on doing within the Comp Sci field. I personally love the build quality of Apple's laptops, and their OS is pleasant experience when it comes to developing things.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
By study, do you mean go to university? If so, if I were you'd I'd be eyeing the new MacBook Air, with up to 16 hours of battery. It also has no fan, which is cool. Downsides would be the current limit of 16GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics. But I think it's a solid choice if those aren't an issue for you. I guess it also depends what you plan on doing within the Comp Sci field. I personally love the build quality of Apple's laptops, and their OS is pleasant experience when it comes to developing things.
16GB of ram is probably all he'll need, if not more than he needs.

You should really include the courses you're taking because depending on that could determine which OS is better for what you'll be doing.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
16GB of ram is probably all he'll need, if not more than he needs.

You should really include the courses you're taking because depending on that could determine which OS is better for what you'll be doing.
Unless you're studying something like machine learning or some other heavy niche I agree with this, 16GB is plenty.

I got by fine with 8GB on my course and an i7 (XPS 13). Ran multiple virtual machines/containers/programs fine. You could check out a Macbook Pro w/ an i7 & 16GB ram if that's more your thing.

I'd definitely not invest 5k, though; maybe 1-2 max. Do you need a dedicated GPU? If so, you could consider something else like the XPS 15 instead. Really depends on what you're studying and hope to get out of it, I know for me the size and power were big factors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread