Lance Browser [VisualBasic // Specially made for Slow Internet Speeds!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
You must be registered for see images attach
... revolutionary Visual Basic browser!
Hello DevBest community!
I'm presenting to you Lance Browser, an on-development browser made to suit users with less browsing speed (someone with 512kb/s would find this useful). It's being developed under the Visual Basic environment so there's nothing much you can expect, it won't be better than Google Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer. But this development will be my testing ground for Visual Basic.
As of now, I've done the interface of the browser, trying to learn with popup boxes. Here are few screenshots you might like (I've been working on it on background)...
Initial
AutoSize Feature
Dock right
Dock left
Maximize
Lance follows your Windows size (and with working AutoSize)

Maximized

Restored

Docked to either left or right

Tips on buttons that doesn't fit the browser! ^
What has been done?
  • tab browsing (3 tabs, no options to add/rearrange/delete tabs)
  • some GUI fix
  • AutoSize feature (see the screenshot for yourself) for Windows 7/Aero/OS that supports AutoSize
  • browsing area now follows the size of your Lance window
What is to be done?
  • actual running script to switch websites (the core function)
  • some more GUI fix and I shall be learning more these coming days while I'm on break...
ETA?
Didn't decided on it yet. Stay tuned to learn how.
Cons of Lance?
  • it runs on Internet Explorer's engine so it means, if your Internet Explorer is not upgraded, then it would have much less feature, no support on HTML5 and so on and so forth)
  • the tabs would be still named Tab 1, Tab 2 and Tab 3 although you visited a site; it's up to you to memorize which tab have you been browsing that site
  • settings relies on Internet Options / Internet Explorer's Internet Options, so your Home button would link to the settings
PS: Lance was inspired by Drowser, a web browser made from VisualBasic by and to the VisualBasic developer .
More plan regarding Lance?
There will be 2 downloads, once is with an installer and one is an executable file only

Please give me constructive criticisms on how I can improve Lance. Thanks! :)...

RELEASE SECTION (v1.0.0.15)
  • Lance with installer;
  • Lance on executable-only file;
Thanks for choosing Lance Browser as a browser for you! :)

Reactions: LoW

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Noice, Will use once done:p
Thanks for the compliment. I bet I'll make it work as a single instance (except if you download the executable file only) so if you try to open another instance it would pop-up the current one you are using then. 
Looks great!
Gonna give it a try :)
When it's done xD
Thanks. I'll make sure to end up the version 1.0.0.14 by this week before class resumes.

LoW

Learner.
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for the compliment. I bet I'll make it work as a single instance (except if you download the executable file only) so if you try to open another instance it would pop-up the current one you are using then. 

Thanks. I'll make sure to end up the version 1.0.0.14 by this week before class resumes.
Ok :)

EthaanRaadley

EthaanRaadley.NET
Oct 1, 2012
I'll Legitimate'ly use it,
I only get 3 mb/s if im lucky :p
When i lag 0.5mb/s so this will be good.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Looking good, a bit sloppy though.
Thanks for the feedback.

UPDATE: I've started working on core functions of the browser, which means anytime it can be released and you can navigate through other webpages. I'll be removing the Facebook button for now, as it is not that 'needed'.

I'll be also setting a plain landing page so that it doesn't consume much of your browsing cap instead of directing you to Facebook. That's all. 
There'll be few GUI changes, if you would notice there's no home button for now. Also, removed Facebook and changed the Go label to an image button instead. :) Still working on it. 
Okay, the first release, which is version 1.0.0.14 is here.
You may download the installation files by downloading the attachment; there are few GUI changes which cannot be seen by the screenshot.

Few notes when installing:
  • make sure your antivirus doesn't block the files from executing due to it's low ratings
  • make sure you do not move 1 file without moving the others in the same order, this will cause the setup file not to find the parts of the installation
About tab is also removed, I do not feel the need of putting it up there. It's enough I give you a decent basic browser. :) 
And here's the executable-only file. On the next release you can only run 1 instance of the program.
And if you would notice, there's no logo on the app. Anyone who could submit me a logo (using the logo on the OP), will be given a little credit for porting the logo for the browser. Thanks! :D 
IbtzE.png

Latest screenshot for all of you. Happy Halloween! :D

Attachments

• Lance Browser version 1.0.0.14.zip
    291.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Lance Browser v1.0.0.14 (exe).zip
    73.6 KB · Views: 0

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
imo, looks poorly designed.

But I'll give it a try and see how good it is.

Reactions: NSA

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
imo, looks poorly designed.

But I'll give it a try and see how good it is.
It may be poorly designed in your eyes but I think it's a decent basic one. :) Thanks for the compliment though. ^_^

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Tab's doesn't show page titles, and I like the fact you use Google Chrome yourself instead of your own browser, lolz.

However I like the fact you are trying, it will get better in time.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Tab's doesn't show page titles, and I like the fact you use Google Chrome yourself instead of your own browser, lolz.

However I like the fact you are trying, it will get better in time.
Thanks for the feedback. Lance is simply a testing ground for me in Visual Basic, because there is 2 years behind before we finally start studying VisualBasic, and I want to get bit advanced.

Why? Because this year, we are studying Microsoft Office Excel & PowerPoint, the fact we studied PowerPoint on Grade 4 and Excel last year. facepalm.jpg

And this isn't my laptop so I cannot install stuff without hiding them, so I don't use Lance. :)

LoW

Learner.
Jun 16, 2011
Installing it now..
EDIT*
Using it now :)
I like it, fast and easy to use..
But I didn't know what the buttons use for..
The only button I know is the green one..
please fix the ToolStripButton4, 5 and 6 to their real name..

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Installing it now..
EDIT*
Using it now :)
I like it, fast and easy to use..
But I didn't know what the buttons use for..
The only button I know is the green one..
please fix the ToolStripButton4, 5 and 6 to their real name..
I almost forgot that. Sadly, I am not on the computer where my resources are. But I'll be pushing a very small fix soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread