Is this a good build?

Swaggots

Sep 22, 2013
Below is the gaming build I've set up, currently valued at 984.88$

I'm not really tech savvy and this is the first PC i'm ever going to build.
Any recommendations or changes?

Thanks

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Below is the gaming build I've set up, currently valued at 984.88$

I'm not really tech savvy and this is the first PC i'm ever going to build.
Any recommendations or changes?

Thanks
dunno why you chose an older cpu and motherboard:

don't really need a cpu cooler unless you're overclocking and plan on leaving your pc on all the time. i don't know why people still buy optical drives either. they will become obsolete in computers just like the floppy drives

Swaggots

Sep 22, 2013
dunno why you chose an older cpu and motherboard:

don't really need a cpu cooler unless you're overclocking and plan on leaving your pc on all the time. i don't know why people still buy optical drives either. they will become obsolete in computers just like the floppy drives

I understand the part about the CPU cooler and I didn't know the motherboard and CPU were older.

Isn't an optical drive needed to read discs?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
I understand the part about the CPU cooler and I didn't know the motherboard and CPU were older.

Isn't an optical drive needed to read discs?
Yes, but what he's saying is why do you need to read discs? Installing an OS - use a USB drive, a game = get an online digital copy (ie steam, whatever else there is). The demand for CD's being used now is very slim, it saves you some cash, so why bother with it?

N8boy

May 31, 2014
I would always install an optical drive. I got often problems with USB drives so I'll never miss an optical drive. For important backups I still use a DVD because my USB drive has crashed some time ago so all my backups are gone.
My DVD-Backups are still there ;)

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
I would always install an optical drive. I got often problems with USB drives so I'll never miss an optical drive. For important backups I still use a DVD because my USB drive has crashed some time ago so all my backups are gone.
My DVD-Backups are still there ;)
that just means you're using shitty USB drives.
Stay with the r9 280x cut the 16gb ram to 8gb. You will see little, to no, increase in performance with 16gb ram.
big difference between 8gb RAM and 16gb RAM, especially when it's dual channel and you're performing tasks such as video transcoding. and when you leave certain applications running like a web browser, having more RAM helps stabilize the system.

Balls

Jun 1, 2013
big difference between 8gb RAM and 16gb RAM, especially when it's dual channel and you're performing tasks such as video transcoding. and when you leave certain applications running like a web browser, having more RAM helps stabilize the system.

I doubt he will be doing video transcoding and using ram-intensive applications, but if he is, sure extra ram will help. But I honestly think an average user would not see the difference between 8gb and 16gb.
8gb is the sweet spot for most mid/high-end builds!

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
just FYI, Valued doesn't mean priced.

but yeah the 280x destroys and the 2500k is my all time favorite processor. I currently have a build very similar to this that I use for 5 screens and it has a 280x.

Users who are viewing this thread