Is Microsoft's new Surface ripping off Apple's iPad?

DaLightz

See ya'll in the afterlife.
May 19, 2012
Alot of people think that Microsoft's new product, The Surface, is ripping off Apple's existing product, The iPad.

Well, first off, let me tell you that the answer is simply no.

Why? Well, allow me to go back in time. In 1992, the GRiDPad was released by Windows. It ran Windows-DOS, which was the earlier version and first version of Windows.

Source():

What's your feelings on this?

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
Well, they both have similar details, but the Surface is more of a computer (Hence it is).The iPad is more of a tablet. Both can be used Vise-versa. I think Windows 8 is trying to use Apps, similar to iPad. I'd say, they are copying some parts but some are original.

iFizz

Developer++
Dec 15, 2012
Eh they are similar, the sudden hype of tablets was kind of started from iPad's, but honestly this is like comparing Androids to iPhones.

DaLightz

May 19, 2012
Well, they both have similar details, but the Surface is more of a computer (Hence it is).The iPad is more of a tablet. Both can be used Vise-versa. I think Windows 8 is trying to use Apps, similar to iPad. I'd say, they are copying some parts but some are original.
Actually. If I'm not correct, Ubuntu was the first to introduce App shops/stores. So, that would mean:

Ubuntu > Apple
Apple > Windows

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
IMO, It's nothing like ipad apart from a Touch screen... It's using windows 8 so there are no other features the same as apples, but I have to say

The Surface is taking over :)

Have you noticed on all the TV programs people used to use ipads eg) X-Factor judges

They now have Surfaces, even on Hawaii 5-O, CSI etc :)

DaLightz

May 19, 2012
IMO, It's nothing like ipad apart from a Touch screen... It's using windows 8 so there are no other features the same as apples, but I have to say

The Surface is taking over :)

Have you noticed on all the TV programs people used to use ipads eg) X-Factor judges

They now have Surfaces, even on Hawaii 5-O, CSI etc :)
Yup. And now that smartglass is out for xbox, everyone that owns a xbox has a surface

concerto49

Jan 24, 2013
The surface has a few advantages and targets a slightly different market to the ipad. The only bad thing the surface did is kill the other win8 tablet makers. Stabbed its own friends.

ButtLord420

Please delete my devbest account.
Dec 11, 2010
I believe I read about the surface a long time before the first iPad was released. Not sure if the iPod touch was out by then but, I'm fairly certain there were no iPads.
You might be thinking of the old surface which they now call pixelsence. It's like a tabletop computer that they use in some tv shows like Hawaii 5-0.

Users who are viewing this thread