Is Computer Science a good field to pursue professionally.

Aug 8, 2014
I ask this not for only myself but for my friends here at devbest. Most of you are interested in some form of programming for whatever reason. But to go beyond programming as a hobby but as a profession in which someone would get a degree in and learn systematically is it a good idea? The reason i ask this is because programming jobs more and more are being seized by (please don't take any offense to this) by cheap workers. Chinese, indian, middle eastern people who are willing to work for minimum wage.

So I ask you, do you think it is worth it considering the cheap laborers?

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
Computer Science as a college/university major is complete bull. You only study the theory, never apply it.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Clearly some aspects are better pursued professionally at lets say a college, how ever aspects such as web development and programming can easily be self taught. Depending on your future plans, taking computer science at a University is a decent plan. In your second year you could branch of and something more specific such as Network Engineering. Computer science is a base for other more specific things.
Computer Science as a college/university major is complete bull. You only study the theory, never apply it.
This is bullshit, if you aren't applying your theory you have to be doing something wrong.

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
Let's just get some clear out here, just because you have a degree, it doesn't mean you excel at something, which is why I love it when industries/start ups (etc) go for expertise and knowledge instead of just checking if the applicant has a degree. I can assure you we have some good programmers here that would do better than someone that has some sort of degree in computer science (i.e @Quackster, @Leon and others)..

Now then to answer your question, is computer science good to pursue professionally? Yes, without a doubt.

The reason i ask this is because programming jobs more and more are being seized by (please don't take any offense to this) by cheap workers. Chinese, indian, middle eastern people who are willing to work for minimum wage.

Uhh, no. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but that is such a stupid statement to make. Programmers are currently a highly payed majority, which is why more and more people are learning how to code. Governments hire programmers, industries, start-ups and many more, and none of them pay them 'minimum wage'.

Then allow me to say, the place you went to learn computer science is teaching it wrong. How will you be ready if you only study the theory yet never be able to apply it and test it for yourself..

Last edited:

cxdy

PHP Developer
Jun 8, 2014
@Magic @Khalil A friend of mine majored in Computer Science with a focus in Web Development, and he said he just wasted four years writing papers on the theory of everything. Granted, it wasn't an actual college. It was University of Phoenix, so yeah.

And yeah, you kinda can't be ready if you only study the theory.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Only if you do it as your Masters degree. If you want a good paying job while still being in the computer/programming industry, do Management Information Systems. It's a business degree, and usually starts off at around 60k. I did it along with 2 of my cousins. 1 of them makes average pay working for IBM, but has the most relaxed job (and only stays there because they are paying for a large portion of his Masters degree). The other has went from job to job (for more money) and is now at Noble Drilling doing SAP Security, making 110k plus great benefits.

Computer Science as a Bachelors degree is useless, unless you went to a prestigious school and graduated summa cum laude with a really high GPA. Entry level jobs pay around 40k, which is like $20/hr. Can make double that with MIS, which also gives more job security and a better chance for management level positions

Users who are viewing this thread