I need help with server related things (habbo retros)

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
First of all, am I able to save all the chat logs from a server to my pc? Second of all, how am i to do this, seeing as the chats are constantly increasing, how would I save them consistently? Last of all, if I were to save the chat logs in a suitable way, where would they be? Would they just be downloaded onto my PC, im scared I may forget to delete it when the times comes to end the habbo retro.

n4te

zzz
Oct 27, 2014
First of all, am I able to save all the chat logs from a server to my pc? Second of all, how am i to do this, seeing as the chats are constantly increasing, how would I save them consistently? Last of all, if I were to save the chat logs in a suitable way, where would they be? Would they just be downloaded onto my PC, im scared I may forget to delete it when the times comes to end the habbo retro.
Why do you want to save chatlogs in the first place?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Why do you want to save chatlogs in the first place?
Not very helpful. Maybe he wants to keep an eye on what's going on :p

You could either login to Navicat on your PC and do it that way or you could back them up automatically and download them to view.

n4te

zzz
Oct 27, 2014

You could either login to Navicat on your PC and do it that way or you could back them up automatically and download them to view.
I was asking a question, but ok.

I just wanted to know why he wanted to save them. I would've then gave him some suggestions.

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
I was asking a question, but ok.

I just wanted to know why he wanted to save them. I would've then gave him some suggestions.
Just to keep eye on things, maybe ban appeals etc? sorry i wasn't clear on that part

Can you exlain all of this? Im kinda new to everything :)

Also, is it a lengthy process to back them up automatically? & plus is it recommended as a owner/moderator of the hotel to keep these chat logs temporarily? Or should i keep them until the hotel closes?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I truncate my chatlogs regularly. I've got other logs for important things, for example the ban table acts as a ban manager, command logs, housekeeping logs etc. Chatlogs are usually really big due to logging everything that people type on the hotel.

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
O
I truncate my chatlogs regularly. I've got other logs for important things, for example the ban table acts as a ban manager, command logs, housekeeping logs etc. Chatlogs are usually really big due to logging everything that people type on the hotel.
So is it common for habbo retro owners to regularly truncate chat logs? Especially ones with around 100-200 people logging on daily?

Doe
& how do you know it takes up alot of storage, does the server notify you the amount you're downloading or?

Also, if you regularly truncate chat logs, how can you tell the difference between the chat logs that arent important & the ones that are (e.g. In relation to ban appeals)

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
O

So is it common for habbo retro owners to regularly truncate chat logs? Especially ones with around 100-200 people logging on daily?

Doe

& how do you know it takes up alot of storage, does the server notify you the amount you're downloading or?

Also, if you regularly truncate chat logs, how can you tell the difference between the chat logs that aren't important & the ones that are (e.g. In relation to ban appeals)
- Yes, it is common to regularly truncate the logs.
- You know it takes up storage based on the number of rows are kept in the database. If you open navicat and have 175 pages of logs, you know its time to clean some up.

I usually just take a backup of the logs, compress them and store them. If someone appeals their ban, you still have the records but it's not in your database. You are still able to go out and find their logs but keep them out of the main database (because remember - the more records the emulator has to search through when grabbing data, the longer it takes for it to return).

Option: Create a secondary database that is accessed through the housekeeping for your moderators to view all chatlogs (including removed), and it won't bog down anything.

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
- You know it takes up storage based on the number of rows are kept in the database. If you open navicat and have 175 pages of logs, you know its time to clean some up.

I usually just take a backup of the logs, compress them and store them. If someone appeals their ban, you still have the records but it's not in your database. You are still able to go out and find their logs but keep them out of the main database (because remember - the more records the emulator has to search through when grabbing data, the longer it takes for it to return).

Option: Create a secondary database that is accessed through the housekeeping for your moderators to view all chatlogs (including removed), and it won't bog down anything.

oh i seeeeee. I've another question. Do chat logs, in a habbo retro at least, play a big.part? Meaning are they important?

Also, i had friends that had this hotel i enjoyed back in 2011 but it closed down/stopped. Do you think that they would still have any part of their database left, maybe stored on the pc? (They had around 100-200 people.playing)

n4te

zzz
Oct 27, 2014
oh i seeeeee. I've another question. Do chat logs, in a habbo retro at least, play a big.part? Meaning are they important?

Also, i had friends that had this hotel i enjoyed back in 2011 but it closed down/stopped. Do you think that they would still have any part of their database left, maybe stored on the pc? (They had around 100-200 people.playing)
You'll have to ask them. The chances of getting that playerbase back are slim though.

JoshuaS

Learning
Jan 9, 2014

Most likely not being it’s 7 years since (people change PCs before ). And you would have to transfer the user table to yours before it even would work. Chat logs is one of the biggest support tools for moderators and means a lot. Mostly problems get resolved before they disappear in game in the mod tools, but as @JayCustom said, maybe a ban appeal or something like that, you would need access to the database chat log table.

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
Most likely not being it’s 7 years since (people change PCs before ). And you would have to transfer the user table to yours before it even would work. Chat logs is one of the biggest support tools for moderators and means a lot. Mostly problems get resolved before they disappear in game in the mod tools, but as @JayCustom said, maybe a ban appeal or something like that, you would need access to the database chat log table.
So to conclude, chat logs are quite vital when managing a retro hotel?

And yes, PCs may change but cant they bring the data over to the new pc? Or is that hard to do?

n4te

zzz
Oct 27, 2014
So to conclude, chat logs are quite vital when managing a retro hotel?

And yes, PCs may change but cant they bring the data over to the new pc? Or is that hard to do?
If the PC is physically gone, then obviously you can't recover anything from it. But If it's still around, it isn't that hard.

JoshuaS

Learning
Jan 9, 2014
It’s quite hard to tell if they still have the dB as it would be guessing. Try ask the old owners for it. But it’s also a ethical dilemma as they have data about user a stored. And yes. Chat logs are vital.

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
It’s quite hard to tell if they still have the dB as it would be guessing. Try ask the old owners for it. But it’s also a ethical dilemma as they have data about user a stored. And yes. Chat logs are vital.
ah okay i see. wait you talked about the chat logs being vital to moderators? would they also be important to the owners? (sorry if im sounding dumb)

Oh and sorry, why would it be an ethical dilemma? Are they not allowed to store data about a user without a fit enough reason?

JoshuaS

Learning
Jan 9, 2014
They are. But I’d they give you their dB they would hand over dozens of passwords and email addresses without the users saying ok to that. And chat logs are just vital in general

hellosir

Oct 31, 2018
They are. But I’d they give you their dB they would hand over dozens of passwords and email addresses without the users saying ok to that. And chat logs are just vital in general
I know i may be a little annoying but could you explain why chat logs are important to the owners specifically?

JoshuaS

Learning
Jan 9, 2014
I know i may be a little annoying but could you explain why chat logs are important to the owners specifically?

Well owners have the final saying. You can manage what your moderators say and the owners have to make sure that the moderators can access it. Everything that your users, moderators etc find important is important for the owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread