[HTML/CSS] Creating Modern Websites

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
Hello DevBest!

I'm a web developer, and I'm trying to also become a web designer. I know HTML and CSS, but I don't know how to apply the two to create a modern and nice website from scratch. Where should I start? I don't want to make an unappealing website - I want to make an attractive website, to begin my web designer portfolio. Here are my main questions:

1. Where should I start?
  2. Have any resources that would be helpful?
  3. Any proper techniques that I should use?

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
erwyNLD.png
 ​
I suggest you start by designing your websites on PhotoShop first, and then coding them as you see it. This will save a lot of time in the development process compared to coding the design from scratch and then needing to edit things you don't like by removing code and re-coding it.

Here are some good resources I am constantly visiting:

: Website design ideas and inspiration. (Don't rip or copy the themes)
: Logo design ideas and inspiration. (Don't copy the logos)
: Superb free background images. (Free to use)
: Great tool for tweaking colours when styling HTML documents.

HTML and CSS structures vary depending on preference and functions so as for techniques you should look around at other HTML and CSS files to see how they are structured and find one that suits you.

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
Any other suggestions? I need tutorials, or direct 1 on 1 help. I'll be willing to pay if you do a good job.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
How I got started with HTML & CSS:

Then I moved on to downloading free layouts and looking at how they were structured.
(They can be found here: )

Then I tried to code a few layouts myself, in simple HTML & CSS. I went through tons of shitty layouts and didn't like any of my work, until I made my layout for my personal website. (This is down now, I am currently coding a new layout)

After that, I wanted to try harder, more advanced layouts. Every time I need help I just shoot a message on Skype. :)

If you wanted somebody to help you with 1 on 1 tutorials/help, then I recommend or even - as they are both great designers and they obviously wouldn't mind a few $.

Alam

shietttt
Jul 3, 2011
Use Inspect Element, get used to the basis of good looking sites and apply it to you work, and I don't mean RIP someone elses work, but try to relate to what you like.

AssLikeThat

Posting Freak
Jan 27, 2013
Bit late on the posting like but used W3schools to start out with, download some templates from websites (free ones) mess around with them and get used to the coding and how it's used (e.g tags in html <b> = bold etc...) then move stuff around at your own pace and you get the hang of it, then just try and start from scratch some basic things on a html document. :)

HowToHayden

Oct 16, 2013
The design that's currently the most popular is "Metro" or "Flat UI" if you do a quick google search for "Flat UI inspiration" then you be able to see different ideas and perhaps pinch bits you like from different designs and code it. I would recommend using Pinterest or StumbleUpon as well because you can come across cracking websites and just save them for later inspiration.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: Didn't notice the last post was 2 and a half months ago. I apologise sincerely.

Users who are viewing this thread