How to Install a Storage Area Network (SAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustache

Jun 1, 2011
I dont know if it belongs here but its a short tutorial with lots of information

A Storage Area Network is a Disk Array Enclosure (DAE) that allows many Servers to share data storage using high-speed fiber-optics. This article applies to the low cost and scalable AX4-5 array offered by Dell and EMC.

Rack and Cable the SAN enclosure. Using Multimode LC-LC Fiber Optic cable, connect the Host Server's Fibre Channel host bus adapter (HBA) directly to the SAN or to an optional Fibre Channel hub or switch. Use a dual-channel HBA card for dual-processor SANs; one to storage processor A, the other to storage processor B. Cable the Ethernet ports to a switch on the same subnet as the management server.

2 Assign the management IP addresses. Install the Navisphere Initialization Utility on a management server or workstation (CD ships with the AX4-5 storage system). Run the Discovery wizard and assign a unique IP address for each storage processor on the SAN. After initialized, the SAN will reboot. Then, you can manage the SAN by IP address using Navisphere Express in an browser.

3 Install the Navisphere Server Utility. Install the Server Utility on the host server that will connect directly to the SAN. For ESX, mount the cdrom drive, unpack and run the naviserverutilcli script.

4 Create a New Server connection. Using the Navisphere Express web, go to the connections menu. Select the HBA adapter and register the Server connection. Repeat for multiple server connections.

5 Create a Disk Pool. Using Navisphere Express web, select the physical disks and RAID level for the Disk Pool. For example, RAID5 using Drives 0-3. Create additional Disk Pools as needed.

6 Create Virtual Disks (LUNs). Using Navisphere Express web, select the Disk Pool, capacity, and assign a server that will use the logical disk. For virtual machines, allocate additional space for memory allocation.

7 Create Virtual Machines. Commonly, SANs will be implemented with VMware. Open the Virtual Center or Infrastructure client to create VMs. Go to the configuration menu, storage adapters and rescan. Repeat for dual-channel storage adapters. Go to the configuration menu, storage and Add Storage. Select the Virtual Disk or LUN created in Step 6. Now the Virtual Disk is available for VM creation.

Mastah

the funny thing is \r\n i did
Oct 25, 2010
Very nice but where is the SAN Network for because i have never herd of it though it sounds awsome as i whas looking on google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

☀️  Switch to Light Theme

Latest posts