How important is mental health ?

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
Lol, Just because I have never experienced it doesn't mean I don't know about it. That's like after you break your leg and go to the doctor the doctor tells you to do something and you tell him to shut up because he has never broken his leg.

You don't have to be sensitive about it. It's just a topic we're talking about.
Nah I don't look dumb because I'm not the one taking everything to heart like you are.
maybe i'm taking things to heart because i've actually been through it.. ever through about that?😂😂😂 clown

Parsov

May 18, 2016
It’s very much possible to have underlying mental health problems without knowing it consciously. People often feign ignorance to their mental health issues because they believe themselves to not be ‘capable’ of having them or something to that effect. The example of how “stupid people don’t know they are stupid” can be applied here.
Nah I think everyones capable of having them. I take good care of my mental health. So I think even if I did have any conditions I think I'm able to keep my brain stable enough for it to not become anything severe. So yeah maybe I do have mental conditions I would never know I'm not suffering that's all that matters for me.
Post automatically merged:

maybe i'm taking things to heart because i've actually been through it.. ever through about that?😂😂😂 clown
Lol that's probably the reason why you've been through it in the first place.

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
Nah I think everyones capable of having them. I take good care of my mental health. So I think even if I did have any conditions I think I'm able to keep my brain stable enough for it to not become anything severe. So yeah maybe I do have mental conditions I would never know I'm not suffering that's all that matters for me.
Post automatically merged:

Lol that's probably the reason why you've been through it in the first place.
don't act like you know me, lol

Parsov

May 18, 2016
don't act like you know me, lol
I don't. I was giving a fairly effective suggestion to a friend it's good you got involved by I don't see why you're taking everything to a personal level especially if you're over it and plus I haven't even said anything which is against people with mental disorders. I don't see what you're trying to prove.

Johno

:: xHosts :: www.xhosts.uk
Sep 12, 2011
Do you think people are born with a mental health illness or it is something that is created by things such as environment, life situations etc ?

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
Do you think people are born with a mental health illness or it is something that is created by things such as environment, life situations etc ?
I don't think they're either or, but most probably both. There's situational depression that can be triggered through life changing events. Developmental issues also come into play, because for instance Autism is a spectrum, you could be the slightest bit autistic and that could potentially affect your ability to integrate in your environment. Then there's hormonal imbalances like childbirth, hair loss, erectile dysfunction and so much more.

There's no one size fits all sadly and everyone has/could have enough of a biological and environmental combination to become mentally ill (which in itself is too broad of a term).

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I don't think they're either or, but most probably both. There's situational depression that can be triggered through life changing events. Developmental issues also come into play, because for instance Autism is a spectrum, you could be the slightest bit autistic and that could potentially affect your ability to integrate in your environment. Then there's hormonal imbalances like childbirth, hair loss, erectile dysfunction and so much more.

There's no one size fits all sadly and everyone has/could have enough of a biological and environmental combination to become mentally ill (which in itself is too broad of a term).

I think this is the best response one can give. Some are born with certain diffentiations such as hormone imbalance or autism. However basically everything you encounter in life might cause mental health issues, or lies dormant until a later age.

Johno

Sep 12, 2011
I have been through a lot and have found that talking about things, trying to get others to also open up in places or environments where they will not be judged can help, sharing suggestions on how to deal with situations from experience, not someone who has read it in a textbook at uni, I have nothing against people who have taken the time to study this area in uni but from my own experiences, the best advice I have personally received has always been from someone who has lived the issues themselves.

I am in the process of writing my own experiences, and what I have found has helped and not helped with the hope that some people may read it and that can take something from it that will help them, I know that I will get trolled by a lot of people when I have finished and share it on social media but if just one person can take something from it that helps it will be 100% worth it from my view.

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
I have been through a lot and have found that talking about things, trying to get others to also open up in places or environments where they will not be judged can help, sharing suggestions on how to deal with situations from experience, not someone who has read it in a textbook at uni, I have nothing against people who have taken the time to study this area in uni but from my own experiences, the best advice I have personally received has always been from someone who has lived the issues themselves.

I am in the process of writing my own experiences, and what I have found has helped and not helped with the hope that some people may read it and that can take something from it that will help them, I know that I will get trolled by a lot of people when I have finished and share it on social media but if just one person can take something from it that helps it will be 100% worth it from my view.
I’ve not “studied” anything conventionally but I made a conscious effort to research/understand things that impact myself and the people around me. Plus most advice works for one and not for another, it’s all personal so everyone’s experiences matter. Also don’t stress about what anyone else thinks. I’ve gone through a lot of mental health struggles in the past (still do to an extent) and committed to volunteer work and getting involved with mental health socials and had a blog for a while that I (surprisingly) had a lot of people reaching out to me to thank me, for advice or even just a vent… even though I was basically just writing my thoughts on a random website lol

Don’t overthink because you don’t know how sharing your experience can impact somebody else, even if they haven’t reached out, so share your shit!! & if you feel comfortable DM me when you do :) hope you’re good man

Liam

Fly and mighty
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
Life changing situations you may encounter definitely has an impact on mental health, whether or not you notice it sooner rather than later is the unknown; things pile up, sometimes without us even realising, until one day it hits you right in the face. However, each person is different.

Currently going through some ugly shit so I speak from experience here. I think it's important to remember that we're only human. There's only so much one person can take, and who's going to be there for you? Nobody but yourself.

Best wishes to those going through hard times that are not spoken about.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
I think its astounding at how we continually under-fund mental health services when this is going to become an even bigger "pandemic" than COVID itself.... but with the stigma still surrounding mental health, and some of the ignorance still prevalent in this thread, I am not surprised one bit.

To say someone suffering from mental health doesn't deserve, or need support and resources tells me everything I need to know about someone as a person. Mental Health NEEDS to be taken seriously, especially more-so with men, where the stigma is at its peak and the notion of showing emotion and/or reaching out for help somehow makes you feminine, gay, or less of a man.

Johno

Sep 12, 2011
I find it shocking at times that certain websites and forums allow people to become victims of abuse, I have had this myself on several websites, been called out for poor grammar, and spelling by idiots to boost their own ego. The sad truth is people suffer from invisible disabilities like me with a learning disability among other disabilities but I try and that is the main thing, I may not always use the correct grammar or spelling to suit the grammar police but try and fight back each day, earn myself a wage and try and do my best to help others too

Johno

Sep 12, 2011
Actually it's not a "dumb" question because I wanted to know how people individually felt not as a collective if you cannot see that you must be of the woke mindset wanting to be to offended by everything mindset.

I feel for anyone who has lost anyone or suffers themselves hence why I asked the question in the first place, I wanted to hear how different people suffer, maybe how they deal with certain things which may help others reading it.

If you understand anything about mental health would first see a comment like that would make anyone who suffers afraid to say anything in case someone like you brands it as "dumb" that can be why a lot of people won't say how that actually feel or think because of the fear of getting a label attached to them.

Think first, comment second not the reverse

**Nice of w@nkster to delete his reply after he has been caught out with this bad attitude 🔔🔚

Last edited:

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Mental health is very important. Cba getting into things. However being male it’s a lot harder telling people things. Yes might tell a select few and adt all happy and positive but it all builds up.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I always already thought mental health was important. If there's anything I've learned in 2022 is that acting on it is even more important. I've always, to some degree, had something affecting my mental health. In two occasions I acted on it, but never enough. 2022 has been a rollercoaster of changes, and it just knocked me down completely by the end. Eventually you get to a point where you can't exit the spiral down anymore, and by the time you realize external help is required as soon as possible, sadly enough most countries don't have the resources to provide this in a decent timeframe.

I've always loved Christmas and NYE, but this is one of the first years I'm counting down the hours until it is over.

anal

Oct 31, 2023
In my view, mental health is just as important as physical health, as it directly impacts our overall well-being and quality of life. Mental health encompasses a wide range of factors, including our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act, and it plays a crucial role in determining our ability to cope with stress, build relationships, and achieve our goals in life.

It should be taken more seriously, but it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread