Help Setting up Retro with VPS

anthvny823

Nov 22, 2017
Good afternoon!
So, I'm currently trying to figure out what I need to host just a small private server for some friends and I, possibly could grow a bit bigger but I honestly just don't know exactly what is needed to do that. I don't mind spending some money, because I don't want it to just be some crapshoot hotel that was made half-assed, so if anyone would be willing to just sit there and either give me some support or help guide me through with everything I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

anthvny823

Nov 22, 2017
@JMG Would it matter if they are in the UK? Idk if that matters with anything, I'm still a beginner on that aspect of things. Plus, I looked into the tutorial and release section but half the time they are old tutorials so I'm not sure what's good with the most up to date things, I'll keep looking though!

anthvny823

Nov 22, 2017
@JMG See, I'm looking at xhosts right now, and I just dont know exactly what it entails, such as "hostname" and "pass", and whatever NS prefixes are. I' assuming hostname and pass would be what is used to log into the VPS, like if for example I had to log in through Xammp?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
@JMG See, I'm looking at xhosts right now, and I just dont know exactly what it entails, such as "hostname" and "pass", and whatever NS prefixes are. I' assuming hostname and pass would be what is used to log into the VPS, like if for example I had to log in through Xammp?
OK, if you're not sure what you're doing when buying a VPS then enter any information into these and they'll e-mail you to IP, username and password to login to your account after you've installed the Windows Server through virtpanel.

I recommend you use IIS and not XAMPP though.

anthvny823

Nov 22, 2017
OK, if you're not sure what you're doing when buying a VPS then enter any information into these and they'll e-mail you to IP, username and password to login to your account after you've installed the Windows Server through virtpanel.

I recommend you use IIS and not XAMPP though.
Sorry for all the questions, so is virtpanel something I would get access to when buying the VPS? And I'm willing to use the IIS, that's just new for me too.

Kak

Posting Freak
Apr 21, 2017
Sorry for all the questions, so is virtpanel something I would get access to when buying the VPS? And I'm willing to use the IIS, that's just new for me too.
yes a virtual panel is usually what you log onto to manage your vps such as rebooting it or adding new specs and such. in regards of accessing your actual server you access it via a program on your computer called remote desktop connection. when you buy the vps you will receive the details usually through email which will be needed in order to access the program ive mentioned above. you dont need to worry about iis or xampp until you are ready to create your retro.

Last edited:

anthvny823

Nov 22, 2017
yes a virtual panel is usually what you log onto to manage your vps such as rebooting it or adding new specs and such. in regards of accessing your actual server you access it via a program on your computer called remote desktop connection. when you buy the vps you will receive the details usually through email which will be needed in order to access the program ive mentioned above. you dont need to worry about iis or xampp until you are ready to create your retro.
I have the VPS now, its just a matter of trying to setup IIS, which is what I need help with hahah.

anthvny823

Nov 22, 2017
its way easier than you think. what is your vps OS? 08, 2012 R2, etc?
I just tried following a tutorial and wound up getting all flustered because something wasn't working, and It wound up saying something along the lines of it couldn't connect to MySQL or something when going to localhost. It's Windows 08 R2. Any help would be super appreciated!

Kak

Posting Freak
Apr 21, 2017
I just tried following a tutorial and wound up getting all flustered because something wasn't working, and It wound up saying something along the lines of it couldn't connect to MySQL or something when going to localhost. It's Windows 08 R2. Any help would be super appreciated!

it cant connect because the mysql details you entered in your config are incorrect

Users who are viewing this thread