[GunZ] Making a GunZ Online Map [Tutorial] [Hmm] [+Download Links]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi

Joshua Pike.
Sep 13, 2010
GunZ Online Mapping Tutorial

Hello and welcome to my first tutorial on this forum on GunZ Online map making. In this tutorial you will learn;

• Making a GunZ Online Map.
  • Adding textures to your surfaces.
  • Exporting your map without lightmap.
  • Adding your map to a GunZ Online client.

List of downloads and links to help you with your map and what you will need before you begin to make your map:

GTK Radiant 1.5 Download;
GzMap;
FSRad;
GzMap official forums; (Full of tutorials and programs)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step one; First, download GTK Radiant 1.5 from the link provided above. Once downloaded and the installation is ran, you should see this screen come up:
2a85mqh.png
Click next, I agree and select either 'Typical' or 'Complete' installation. Believe it or not, the program will then begin to install. If you haven't got this part right, then let god help you because you're officially a mentally retarded person!

Step two; Now that you have GTK Radiant 1.5 installed, you need to download GzMap, yet again from the link above. Once downloaded and you have ran the installation, another box shall pop-up looking like this:
sv6oet.png
Note: if they're not all selected (ticked) then please do that now, as you will automatically fail if you don't select them all!

Once this box has popped up and all three options are selected, click on the 'Next' button, this will then take you to the next stage in the installation process. Once on the second stage, the box should now look like or similar to this (I am using the same downloads as you, so if it doesn't look the same then you most probably fail);
353741h.jpg
Now you have this up, click 'Browse' and select your GTK Radiant 1.5 directory. (For people with no brains, this means where you installed the first program). Once selected, click next and then another, similar box should appear. This is where your maps, textures and scripts will safe. I suggest making a folder on your desktop called 'GunZ Maps' or something easy to remember. Once you have made that folder, just select that folder in the current installation window you have opened and click 'Install'.
Funnily enough, once clicked on install, GzMap will install!

Step Three; Now you have all of your programs needed to make the map, (FSRad will be at the end of a tutorial with the best settings included also) go ahead and open GTK Radiant 1.5, make your options the same as mine and click 'Ok'.
33dil2c.png

Step Four; Now, after completing that step you should get this appear:
2ev88qf.png
Personally, I think this layout is rather bad for map making, so I change it to look like this:
160wmcl.png
But that is just me, and everybody varies. Anyways, now you have your programs open, you may begin to making your first ever map, so, since it is your first map, we are going to do something really simple to start you off, something a bit like this;
tajnearlyready.jpg
LOL, Only joking, only pro map makers can do advanced stuff like that! We're going to make something simple, like this;
1qlh0m.png

First we need to create a floor, so do this by clicking on one of the axis and dragging out to make a surface or 'brush' like so;
2n69gxy.jpg
Now that you have done that, right click and place a player_deathmatch like so;
15dntli.png

Now, texture your floor by holding shift, clicking your surface and pressing the 'T' button on your keyboard like so;
1zq82om.png

Now, just make a bunch of boxes or whatever you want your map to be themed like, use themed textures to go with the name and play around for a bit until you're done. 2 Minute example;
s29rhc.jpg
Now you have done that, we need to test the map. To do this, we need to go to the toolbar at the top of the map, Build » GzMap:- Nolight

Once it has finished compiling, place the map in your GunZ Client 'Maps' folder and launch GunZ.exe or TheDuel.exe (depending on which server you're playing or what server files you're using). Go to your options in your client, make sure LIGHTMAP is OFF before launching your map and then click Start Game.

Note; I shall do a tutorial on how to do maps with lightmap seperate, so please be patient for that. Thanks for reading and thank me guys. ~ Josh

Credits:
~ Josh (Hmm from devbest)
~ hailboys (from GzP for a few images)

AyJay

Sep 12, 2010
Woah, This is awesome! Very Good tut with Loads of detail! I think alot of people will use this, (; -Thanks-

Ayumi

Joshua Pike.
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks guys, would have added more but I decided that i'll do another tutorial later for light mapping etc instead, tired now lol. :p

J4M3S

Feb 3, 2011
Nice tutorial! It's very well organized and descriptive. Thanks :D

-J4M3S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread