Gaming PC vs Gaming Consoles - Which is best for you?

Zeddicus

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
Mar 23, 2012
Alright, to start off I realize many of the community may despise me due to my immaturity, but this will be quite a very serious thread considering the question has been raised numerous times over the Next Gen consoles/games being released this year. So, now that we got this out of the way - let's begin with the pros and cons on console gaming:

Gaming Consoles
Pros and Cons

PS4-vs-Xbox-One-composite-007.jpg

Cons:
  • Unable to replace/upgrade parts (Xbox One only)
  • Unable to mod or tweak graphics settings
  • Limited ability to access the console in-game (Ex: tgm - also known as enabling 'god mode')
  • Slower FPS (Varying on the graphics card of other gaming PCs)
  • Inability to download Torrents
  • Harder access to opening up the case to reveal the motherboard at ease, and reassembling it back together
  • Limited controller options
Pros:
  • Cheaper alternative
  • Faster start-up to run games immediately
  • Inability to get viruses
  • Reliable and built 100% for the purpose of gaming itself
  • Easy portability
  • Exclusive games (Varying from exclusive Sony games to exclusive Microsoft games)
  • Steady FPS rate
Gaming PCs
Pros and Cons

dssubzero-1.jpg

Cons:
  • Ability to get viruses
  • Higher cost (If you want a high-graphics PC)
  • Barely any portability (Unless you have a gaming laptop)
  • Slower start-up to run games
  • Takes up more electricity (If you have a PC with a really power-consuming GPU and CPU)
  • Could get errors upon game start-up or require extra software downloads to play certain games
Pros:
  • Better graphics (Depending on GPU)
  • Better FPS (Again, depending on GPU)
  • Ability to mod/tweak graphics settings
  • Ability to access in-game console (Varying on the game itself)
  • Easy access to opening the case to reveal the motherboard
  • Replaceable/up-gradable hardware
  • Edit the controls as you wish (You can use your keyboard or a PC gaming controller)
So, now we're at a stopping point. Which do you choose? You've read the pros and cons. Now, you might of already decided by just reading them alone, but for those who are still stuck - here is another way to fully decide:

You should buy a gaming console if:
  1. You have a budget ranging from $500 or less
  2. You're not that much into high-graphics
  3. You feel no need to mod/tweak any settings of the game itself
  4. You like the security of having a all 100% gaming machine
You should buy a gaming PC if:
  1. You have a budget ranging from $1,000 or more
  2. You're into high-graphics
  3. You're interested in modding or tweaking any settings in-game
  4. You like a all-in-one machine that can game, surf the web, skype, or do any other thing a computer can do
I hope this has helped you make up your mind. If you have, you can check out these links below for more info on what you chose to buy:

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
I actually prefer a console over a PC simply because there is a less of a range of different computers (if you were looking for a PC gaming computer) so the playing field is leveled, not to mention you might install the wrong stuff which puts a shit load of crapware/adware on your computer.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
#SupremeRace - Join the PC mofo's.

Nah seriously, I'm all for gaming PC's as I can multi-task with dual monitors. Consoles are purely for gaming, I'd like to be able to do other things as well without having to use multiple devices.

Zeddicus

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
Mar 23, 2012
I actually prefer a console over a PC simply because there is a less of a range of different computers (if you were looking for a PC gaming computer) so the playing field is leveled, not to mention you might install the wrong stuff which puts a shit load of crapware/adware on your computer.

I, myself, have both. I have an Xbox 360 (Elite) and a low-medium settings Gaming PC I upgraded myself from which used to be a Dell Optiplex 755. Still has much work to be done.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
I'd rather have a PC. It has multi tasking abilities and as said you can replace parts etc. Also if you get a decent one you don't have to replace it every year because of a new gen console. Yes the parts might get outdated but will often still work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread