Findretro contributions?

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017
Heyo

I was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to perhaps opensource findretros so people could contribute towards making it better, more appealing, and maybe even update it a bit? I would suspect that it's running on a fairly old Laravel version? which would also result in a fairly old PHP version..

I've seen a few times how people request findretros to be updated - Eg. the voting system etc.

I don't think it would hurt to open source findretros, as there would be no other site taking over it anyways. Everybody is familiar with it already and likes to use it. I just personally thinks it's a shame that it's kinda just "left to be" - atleast it seems like so.

@RastaLulz I hope you'll consider this idea, so we as a community can improve findretros further :D

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
Im pretty sure a newer version is in the works - Servers.gg
Possibly findretros will move across to the new platform upon release.

As for making findretros opensource.
What a bad idea this will be.
As with pretty much all habbo release, in a years time we’ll have the thousandth findretros clone.

What @RastaLulz would be better doing, would be to have some form of onsite poll or potentially a link to a thread here, finding out what features end users want.
Whether it be more customization options, new features etc…

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017

As with pretty much all habbo release, in a years time we’ll have the thousandth findretros clone.

What @RastaLulz would be better doing, would be to have some form of onsite poll or potentially a link to a thread here, finding out what features end users want.
findretros is already a fairly simple site if some1 wanted they could make their own. Clones or not as stated it wouldnt matter if a clone popped up, people are used to findretros and wouldn't just switch.

People have voiced a couple ideas here before, to no use, I believe it they werent even achknowledged.

if new voting platform is in the works cool, but servers.gg seems like an odd attempt to collect multiple things into one, where findretros is as the name indicates a place to find retros - straight to the point, no hassle at all.

I think accepting contributions towards what findretros without shifting away from what it is a way better option, and I doesnt seem to be the only one thinking this.

If rastalulz wanna use some other service or wanna keep findretros as is, thats his choice, and we'll have to respect that. I just dont see the whole "opensource bad" argument when it comes to a site like findretros.

Last edited:

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018

the main issue with findretros right now is the redirect loop

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
findretros is already a fairly simple site if some1 wanted they could make their own. Clones or not as stated it wouldnt matter if a clone popped up, people are used to findretros and wouldn't just switch.

People have voiced a couple ideas here before, to no use, I believe it they werent even achknowledged.

if new voting platform is in the works cool, but servers.gg seems like an odd attempt to collect multiple things into one, where findretros is as the name indicates a place to find retros - straight to the point, no hassle at all.

I think accepting contributions towards what findretros without shifting away from what it is a way better option, and I doesnt seem to be the only one thinking this.

If rastalulz wanna use some other service or wanna keep findretros as is, thats his choice, and we'll have to respect that. I just dont see the whole "opensource bad" argument when it comes to a site like findretros.
If its a fairly simple site to clone. Then whats the point of making it open source then?

Regarding servers.gg, i didnt mean findretros intergrating with that.
I meant the design/functionality of it would be incorporated into findretros and servers.gg would be a platform for non habbo.

Regarding the voicing of ideas, maybe they have been minimal, why make a change when 2% of people want it (example % btw).
It needs to be a sought after feature to make it worth creating. No point in making 10+ new features when each one is going to be used by a minority.

the main issue with findretros right now is the redirect loop
I dont use findretros so cant comment.

Just voicing my opinion from an outside perspective

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017
If its a fairly simple site to clone. Then whats the point of making it open source then?

Regarding servers.gg, i didnt mean findretros intergrating with that.
I meant the design/functionality of it would be incorporated into findretros and servers.gg would be a platform for non habbo.

Regarding the voicing of ideas, maybe they have been minimal, why make a change when 2% of people want it (example % btw).
It needs to be a sought after feature to make it worth creating. No point in making 10+ new features when each one is going to be used by a minority.

I dont use findretros so cant comment.

Just voicing my opinion from an outside perspective
"If its a fairly simple site to clone. Then whats the point of making it open source then?"

to make it a community effort

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018
even if it wasn't open source if we had some way to actually get issues dealt with then i'm all for it but right now it doesn't seem like anyone's working on findretros at all

paswrd

Jul 31, 2012
even if it wasn't open source if we had some way to actually get issues dealt with then i'm all for it but right now it doesn't seem like anyone's working on findretros at all
My issue right now is that I have flash and shockwave and don't know how to properly redirect both clients to FindRetros and have it properly redirect back to each individual client page.. But I agree, making it open source would for sure benefit it significantly allowing more people to fix its current issues.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
Other than a re-design I don't see very many other features people would be interested in using. Ill mention a couple, from Retroliste, which I've mentioned before in these "revamp findretros" threads.

I kind of like how they did it, but its dead. Nobody but retro owners use it, however, for example, they track online trends and your hotels uptime, information that may be useful for a Hotel owner or even somebody looking for a new hotel to play.

By reviewing these stats I can view where my problem areas are, and where we can work to improve the online count for that time period. Things like this would be very cool if integrated into Findretros, as its a feature that could be very useful by both Hotel Owners and players.

You must be registered for see images attach

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
The only reason people use findretros is because it's old, it's known, and no one really cares enough to make a new retro listing site or go looking for one. Why act like FindRetros is too good to be open-sourced...😂

This had to be said and done a long time ago honestly. It's a good idea to update it and it wouldn't hurt anyone in doing so. On the contrary, people should appreciate the fact that there are others interested in helping the community to grow in this day and age.

Object is making solid points here and I agree with him.

Runner

Jun 30, 2023
Someone had previously made a clone of FindRetros named Traker back in the day I don't know if they're still around the community maybe they're willing to put it on GitHub.

@Object I feel if you made your own version of FindRetros with the number of contributions you've given to the community and keeping hotels safe. I'm sure many hotels will leave FindRetros over time to join yours if it's similar and given more attention / moderated fairly not allowing hotels that leak users' info adding a warning system for toxic owners to not allow those hotels on the site would be a step in the right direction.

There are plenty of hotels open right now that DDoS attack each other, target users and their families, and leak users' personal details gained from their hotel databases due to hotel wars. Yet they're still allowed on FindRetros to make other innocent people who have no clue of this happening become victims. FindRetros has no rules or takes no action for these matters to protect people who trust to find decent hotels through their site they're told it's not their fault it's the hotel's owners' fault, however, FindRetros allows the pathway for these people to become victims.

There was a time when FindRetros used to advertise their platform on social media for new people to find the retro community. Now all hotels on there are getting the same users who knew about it from the past and nobody knew which gives most English hotels the same old toxic community instead of new people who might not be as toxic.

Nowadays when you mention FindRetros. and the issues with it Liam just seems to defend it rather than acknowledge the obvious lots of hotel owners use it and they're not even listened to when their feedback or concerns are brought up they're told pretty much they're wrong and FindRetros isn't a priority anymore because retro community is dead. I believe FindRetros giving up adds to the English community dying as much as them allowing toxic hotels.

I believe if nobody within FindRetros who has access to make changes is going to take the time to hire a team of people in the community who could progress it and get it back on a good path they should release the open source allowing the community that has used them and gotten them paid from the Ad Sense have a chance at making a ranking site that cares about the community. I believe it's only right to do since hotel owners still use it even though FindRetros has given up on them for the past 2/3 years.

Looks like they have no plans on adding retros to their new site showing they're focusing on Minecraft & Rust servers.

FindRetros has been put on the back burner it's truly said to see they've taken this route considering Habbo Retros were and still are the only reason people use this forums and ranking sites.

Last edited:

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Just wanted to add, it's a free market. Everyone is allowed to create whatever they want to create within legal limits. But trying to get a competitor going on the owners own forum is just a dick move, and I hope the mods will delete such comments.

You can voice your concerns and give feedback, but IMO that's where the limit should be. Anyone trying to use DevBest to create a competitor should be written off directly as a trustworthy holder of data.

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
Just wanted to add, it's a free market. Everyone is allowed to create whatever they want to create within legal limits. But trying to get a competitor going on the owners own forum is just a dick move, and I hope the mods will delete such comments.

You can voice your concerns and give feedback, but IMO that's where the limit should be. Anyone trying to use DevBest to create a competitor should be written off directly as a trustworthy holder of data.
I don’t know if the site is dying with no real updates and people are complaining. I think it’s not such a bad idea to list out possible options and put them up for discussion. You shouldn’t fear change that’s what will keep the community afloat half of you guys don’t even do much habbo anymore and argue with people who actively do. They are the ones still trying to grow, change or improve the community which just comes to show.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I don’t know if the site is dying with no real updates and people are complaining. I think it’s not such a bad idea to list out possible options and put them up for discussion. You shouldn’t fear change that’s what will keep the community afloat half of you guys don’t even do much habbo anymore and argue with people who actively do. They are the ones still trying to grow, change or improve the community which just comes to show.

It's about decency and respect. Like I said, you should be able to discuss anything you want, but not organize starting a competitor on the forum of the owner. If you don't understand how that is extremely disrespectful and a big middle finger, I don't think those people are the right people to trust with data.

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
It's about decency and respect. Like I said, you should be able to discuss anything you want, but not organize starting a competitor on the forum of the owner. If you don't understand how that is extremely disrespectful and a big middle finger, I don't think those people are the right people to trust with data.
I get that you are biased but saying that you wouldn't trust people who are trying to improve something is weird. I think it's actually disrespectful to ignore the fact that many people have and continue to complain about findretros and yet nothing has been done. You should see this from all perspectives.
Solutions/Suggestions are being given because people still see the potential it can have and do not want to deviate from it but if push comes to shove can you really blame them?

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I get that you are biased but saying that you wouldn't trust people who are trying to improve something is weird. I think it's actually disrespectful to ignore the fact that many people have and continue to complain about findretros and yet nothing has been done. You should see this from all perspectives.
Solutions/Suggestions are being given because people still see the potential it can have and do not want to deviate from it but if push comes to shove can you really blame them?

I'm not sure if you have issues with reading comprehension, but I'm going to repeat myself for the very last time.

1. It has nothing to do with bias, but simple etiquette. You don't use Habbo.com to organize the creation of a retro, for example. As you don't use the forum of the owner of FindRetros to create competition for that site.
2. My first comment criticized Rasta for letting his communities die out.
3. I also already said multiple times that feedback/critique/solutions/suggestions should indeed be shared. Creating a competitor is not a solution for FindRetros, but a solution for you.
4. I never said I blame anyone, or that I disagree with it. Once more, I only said I think it's a dick move to try to create a competitor for FindRetros on DevBest, as both are owned by Josh.

I'm not sure why I need to repeat basic manners so often. It's not that hard. And I indeed do believe that if I need to explain simple things as this to someone, that person probably is not the right person to own the data in a community that is toxic and often takes illegal steps.

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
I believe there might be a misunderstanding or a lack of understanding from another party, as I have already responded and maintained my position. I feel there's a repetition of points, which doesn't alter my stance. Referring to your initial critique that appeared to be more of an offer, mentioning 'not seeing anything happening soon,' it seems evident to me that there's a bias apparent in your approach, which I believe doesn't need to be concealed. It's also a common occurrence for people to discuss various projects across platforms like Habbo or other retros; this happens regularly and widely. Moreover, suggesting a lack of trust in individuals striving for improvement seems rather odd and may inadvertently appear as an attempt to intimidate others.

on a side note, it's important to emphasize that these proposed solutions aren't solely for the benefit of one individual but for the collective betterment. If that notion isn't clear, perhaps the one who might require assistance in understanding this aspect could be you.

Last edited:

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I believe there might be a misunderstanding or a lack of understanding from another party, as I have already responded and maintained my position. I feel there's a repetition of points, which doesn't alter my stance. Referring to your initial critique that appeared to be more of an offer, mentioning 'not seeing anything happening soon,' it seems evident to me that there's a bias apparent in your approach, which I believe doesn't need to be concealed. It's also a common occurrence for people to discuss various projects across platforms like Habbo or other retros; this happens regularly and widely. Moreover, suggesting a lack of trust in individuals striving for improvement seems rather odd and may inadvertently appear as an attempt to intimidate others.

on a side note, it's important to emphasize that these proposed solutions aren't solely for the benefit of one individual but for the collective betterment. If that notion isn't clear, perhaps the one who might require assistance in understanding this aspect could be you.

Mate, maybe next time ask how I mean something instead of making assumptions. The reason I said that I don't see anything happening is because I know Josh, and he's been extremely busy. There's no bias in there, doesn't matter how much fancy words you use. It's a statement. It's neither an opinion or whatever. You just keep on making your own assumptions and refuse to listen.

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017
Still hope for this to be a reality :)

Puffin already mentioned something that'd be cool to implement + I'm sure there's a ton of other things also that could be implemented in order to improve findretros.

Perhaps 1 day someone will create an alternative if not. However I think it'd be so much better if we just stick to findretros which people already is familiar with and simply improve it together.

I really don't see the issue in open sourcing it, if clones pop up so what. if people contribute then great. It's just a shame it's left to be and havent seen any major improvements for seemingly years.

Users who are viewing this thread