Famous People, respect, etc..

Zodiak

recovering crack addict
Nov 18, 2011
So on facebook I've seen lots of people posting about Paul Walker & Nelson Mandela's deaths etc acting as if they're the most special people in the world, so I decided to comment on a few and post a status about how just respecting them isn't the best thing to do as there's millions of children in Africa and other countries who have and are dying of illness, disease and starvation and I'm getting a lot of abuse for it. Does it make me a bad person that I think Nelson Mandela and Paul walker, etc don't deserve all the respect they're getting and that everyone should be respected equally no matter what they've accomplished in there life? whether it's good or bad, big or small.
Yes Paul Walker was a great actor, doesn't mean everyone has to go out of there way to post statuses about him acting as if he's God.
Yes Nelson Mandela was a good man, possibly one of the best men alive. But that still doesn't mean that he deserves all the attention he's getting.
Rest In Peace to Nelson Mandela, Paul Walker and everyone who has died.
I just need opinions, does this make me a bad person or in fact the complete opposite?

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
so I decided to comment on a few and post a status about how just respecting them isn't the best thing to do
So.. Respecting famous people is a bad thing? The fact that they achieved something you can't even dream of during their lifetime doesn't deserve respect?
We took this discussion in the thread for Paul Walker's death anyway.
Showing our respect for them is a good thing. And yes, thousands of children die every day. The problem; We can't address each and every one of them. I took this up myself.
Saying "RIP" etc to famous people that achieved many a great thing isn't to show disrespect for everyone else, like you imply.

Personally, I react to the thousands of "RIP <name-here>" pages that pop up. Most of those doesn't seem to be made due to respect, but due to abusing the fact that the deceased was famous.

Depending on how one looks at it, you're a bad or a good person.
I think you're a bit of both. I too care for the ones that die due to disease etc. but still.

Zodiak

recovering crack addict
Nov 18, 2011
So.. Respecting famous people is a bad thing? The fact that they achieved something you can't even dream of during their lifetime doesn't deserve respect?
We took this discussion in the thread for Paul Walker's death anyway.
Showing our respect for them is a good thing. And yes, thousands of children die every day. The problem; We can't address each and every one of them. I took this up myself.
Saying "RIP" etc to famous people that achieved many a great thing isn't to show disrespect for everyone else, like you imply.

Personally, I react to the thousands of "RIP <name-here>" pages that pop up. Most of those doesn't seem to be made due to respect, but due to abusing the fact that the deceased was famous.
I had this exact same argument ah, I'm not saying that respecting famous people is bad, I'm saying they're getting a lot more respect then then they deserve just because they're famous, I feel everyone deserves the same amount of respect. I'm not saying you have to attend every dead persons funeral or post a fb status about them or tweet about them or anything like that, I mean just put it into consideration that everyone's a good person whether they've got a layer of cunt on top or not. :up: Does this make me a bad person or in fact the complete opposite?

Spoderman

y u do dis 2 me
Jun 30, 2013
Well starving would majorly decrease if the stupid fucks stopped breeding everyday. Agree with what you're saying though.

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
I feel like people should be allowed to express their opinions online, you have your own opinion and they have theirs.

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
I really don't care for Paul Walker nor do I care for the Fast & Furious movies, but the fact that he achieved something great in his lifetime deserves some respect (as @NutCRacKeRrrRr previously stated), Nelson Mandela however is indeed a hero (not saying that just because I'm an African or so), but he really is, he fought for human rights and freedom AND won, got arrested AND still DID NOT give up, he became the first black president of South Africa (and also the first to be elected in a fully representative election), I personally don't know how South Africa would be today if it wasn't for him! That man my friend deserves a great amount of respect and a highfive on the side! R.I.P Nelson Mandela (18 July 1918 – 5 December 2013), a great hero & leader!

P.S: Yes, in my opinion, Nelson Mandela deserves all the amount of attention he's getting.

ThePluz

Jan 21, 2013
For what it's worth;
Celebrities are forever in the public eye, Paul Walker for instance was actually a very good guy, he was always doing charity events, donated a lot of his money to charities, and his time, he left filming Fast & Furious to spend time with his family, and his charity, he stalled filming for everyone due to that, in which I think makes him a nice guy, He met this ex injured soldier in one of his events, where they both talked for a long time, and the soldier told him that he was saving up to buy a big ring for his girlfriend so he could propose to her, but Paul Walker went out, and told him to pick a ring for her, and he bought it out of his own generosity. So therefore he earns my deepest respect. He didn't beg for attention like most celebrities, he tried to keep him and his family to himself and out of the public eye.

The people who are starving in Africa wouldn't be in so much trouble if they stopped having children, might sound plain and nasty but it's the truth, it shouldn't be our problem, I don't mind donating to help people out there, but I'm not going to do it forever as it isn't very respectful to the people who donate, as it'll never get better, like I stated above, it shouldn't be our problem, as our own country is in the bin at the moment. Celebrities that do advertisements for US to pay money to help them out, when they could just donate a few months of there wages, which would cover 1000 other people donating (Footballers anyways).

I know people are constantly placing status's about Paul Walker and other famous people deaths, but some people are genuinely heart broken, as they "loved" that person.

Much love
Ryan.

Crup

weeeeee
Jul 25, 2010
When Nelson Mandela died, he was remembered for what he went thru in Africa. When Paul walker died, he was remembered for the role he played in the movie fast and furious.

Rastaberry

Rooster 4 president 2k14
Dec 3, 2010
I personally never cared about Paul walker dying because he's only a star in a movie and he's only a celebrety for what he've done for the movie industry. Don't really see the point of calling him a hero because sure He've made good movies and sure he've done a good job but compared to Nelson Mandela he aín't much better actually.

Nelson Mandela has done a lot for the whole to change and it really affected. And overal I'd care more about Nelson Mandela than Paul walker actually.

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Thing to remember is that famous people like celebrities etc, they aren't this superficial race they're just humans the same as you and I, why should they be treat any different

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Yes Nelson Mandela was a good man, possibly one of the best men alive.
uh, he's dead....

Anyways, based on your logic we can never complain about anything because someone will always have it worse than us.

I think Nelson Mandela deserves all the attention he got. He achieved great things and was an amazing person. By giving him the attention we are informing those that do not know and celebrating what he did for SA. So I think you deserve what you're getting for saying that we can't celebrate his life and achievements because there are people with problems.

Well starving would majorly decrease if the stupid fucks stopped breeding everyday. Agree with what you're saying though.
Wow did you ever think that they might get raped? You truely are an idiot
Also, if you ever had sex you know it'd feels really good. So, why would they give that up?

Last edited:

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
Don't take this to heart but I think the OP is being a bit ignorant. Anyone that was a good person in their lifetime deserves respect. Paul Walker's death was not advertised as much as Nelson Mandela and with reason, the same way my mother or even yours could die tomorrow and the people they were good too will give their respects? So you're saying if your mother had gone through all of what Nelson Mandela had she shouldn't have gotten the amount of respect he got? To millions of people he is a hero and he deserves all the respect he got and is still being given.

Everyone is given respect for being good but the level of respect depends on your accomplishments and I know comparing a movie star to a 'hero' is a very big difference but they are both respected rightfully, each by their own fans and for their own reason.

I don't think the respect they got after death should have been any different.

Users who are viewing this thread