Fake followers - yay or nay?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
So I'm pretty bias on this kind of topic but what're your opinions on this?

By "fake followers" I'm referring to the kind of social pages that buy fake followers, likes, subs etc. You get the point.

My view:
What are the reasons for these kind of services? Are people literally so braindead they are under the impression fake followers will make them famous or more popular? The entire point of social media is to interact with genuine people - the more genuine follows, the more interaction and social status created. What good is a bunch of fake followers, if you're just posting to unused accounts? Interaction is what drives social media.

What do you think?

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
It's stupid, as you said, social media is about interaction, not volumes.
Good way to scam people though.

Owen

Mar 20, 2013
There isn't a point of buying them because you know that those fake accounts won't interact with your page/account, its just a number on a screen which surprise's me that people actually do buy subs and likes to try get popular when you need to get big by doing it yourself on your own. I honestly think that people who buy subs/likes are stupid literally why spent money on stuff like that lol. Anyway thats just my opinion.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
Well in my marketing class, we created our own clothing brand and were given the task of marketing it. Our grade is based on how many people we reach, which is why he each chipped in $10 (total of $250) to purchase followers on Instagram.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I think it depends on what your goal is. If you're doing it to get reach, then no, it's not worth it. But if you're selling a product, and you want to appear established and gain new customers trust, then yes, I'd say it's worth it, as oppose to starting from nowhere.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Well in my marketing class, we created our own clothing brand and were given the task of marketing it. Our grade is based on how many people we reach, which is why he each chipped in $10 (total of $250) to purchase followers on Instagram.

But that's not an actual "reach" you basically faked your reach by using fake accounts to appear more popular? I'm surprised, with it being a marketing class, that they didn't pick up on that right away since it's so obvious when accounts are fake.

I think it depends on what your goal is. If you're doing it to get reach, then no, it's not worth it. But if you're selling a product, and you want to appear established and gain new customers trust, then yes, I'd say it's worth it, as oppose to starting from nowhere.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at - the only positive I can see from fake accounts.. I think if you can gain genuine followers and mix it up a bit with some fake accounts, just to appear established and trusted (people will be more likely to follow I guess) This has to be carefully managed though imo.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
But that's not an actual "reach" you basically faked your reach by using fake accounts to appear more popular? I'm surprised, with it being a marketing class, that they didn't pick up on that right away since it's so obvious when accounts are fake.

My teacher is looking at follower count and only that. I agree though, it is pretty ridiculous.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Really? If you have to resort to this kind of actions for a grade because you can't get followers, maybe you should get a low grade, because your marketing campaign sucks.

I disagree. If people notice the fake accounts, people won't trust them at all. You already give out some sort of desperate message, if the product is good, the rest will follow.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
Really? If you have to resort to this kind of actions for a grade because you can't get followers, maybe you should get a low grade, because your marketing campaign sucks.

Why invest hours and hours to gain followers, when I can simply chip in $10 and get an A+?

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Why invest hours and hours to gain followers, when I can simply chip in $10 and get an A+?
Because it's an (replacement) exam. If you could buy grades, this whole world would be fucked up. You are just plain stupid.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Because it's an (replacement) exam. If you could buy grades, this whole world would be fucked up. You are just plain stupid.
He isn't fucked up, the examining body is for letting that happen. I would have done the same if they are stupid enough go let stuff like that slip.

Also, it depends who your target audience if, when aiming a product at say middle-aged parents who don't have much tech knowledge, they are likely to see the followed count and trust the server - where as if you're aiming it at the same kind of market as Devbest, then sure I'd disagree because most people on here would pick up on the followers being fake.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
He isn't fucked up, the examining body is for letting that happen. I would have done the same if they are stupid enough go let stuff like that slip.

Also, it depends who your target audience if, when aiming a product at say middle-aged parents who don't have much tech knowledge, they are likely to see the followed count and trust the server - where as if you're aiming it at the same kind of market as Devbest, then sure I'd disagree because most people on here would pick up on the followers being fake.
No. You are responsible for your own choices. It's as much their fault, as it is his own.

Crimzr

Do somethin' for a boss
Apr 12, 2015
Social media was invented to communicate with real people. However, with botted followers you seem more popular than you actually are and it is good for making money. Botting accounts and selling them. I myself have never botted followers, but I do follow for follow from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread